Thread: Latest 2.6.27 kernels with Atheros cards == 500mW

Default Latest 2.6.27 kernels with Atheros cards == 500mW

Anyone else discover this? I compiled the latest git sources kernel to use the native Atheros drivers for my Acer Aspire One. iwconfig shows txpower at 27dbm. That's 500mW. Ok, that's got to be a bug. But my ddwrt router shows this laptop is 13db stronger than other laptops in my house. And the card runs hot. Sending gigabyte files eventually locks up the card, requiring cycling the power to reset.

Changing the txpower with iwconfig to something like 1dbm will display the new power level, but the actual transmit power is full.

I doubt that it is outputting at 27 dBm. You have probably just maxed out the power. It is just like running your car engine at 10,000 RPM, when it was designed for 6,000 RPM. It can do it, but not for long before it blows up.

If large files are crashing your card, then it is likely overheating. You should probably get your replacement card on order right away.

Quote Originally Posted by dattaway View Post
    Anyone else discover this? I compiled the latest git sources kernel to use the native Atheros drivers for my Acer Aspire One. iwconfig shows txpower at 27dbm. That's 500mW. Ok, that's got to be a bug. But my ddwrt router shows this laptop is 13db stronger than other laptops in my house. And the card runs hot. Sending gigabyte files eventually locks up the card, requiring cycling the power to reset.

Changing the txpower with iwconfig to something like 1dbm will display the new power level, but the actual transmit power is full.
    http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum...17673#msg17673
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by woistfred View Post
    subtract : (signal - noise)
    i think you mean signal/noise since it a signal to noise ration (SNR)

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    i think you mean signal/noise since it a signal to noise ration (SNR)
    Since they are both displayed in decibels, a S/N ratio is calculated by subtracting the noise from the signal.