Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between Super Cantenna SCB10 and SCB10X

Default Difference between Super Cantenna SCB10 and SCB10X

Besides the obvious color difference, and the tripod is a bit different, what is the difference, I am looking at a SCB10 and it is quite cheap, 25 bucks shipped, but should I go for the SCB10X for 43 shipped? Is there anything better about it? However here is an clip from the SCB10 ad.

INCLUDES

* Super Cantenna Wireless Booster Antenna
    * One (1) RPTNC adapter
    * Tripod
    * Manual

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

* Product Requirements:

802.11b/g wireless Router or Gateway w/antenna connector type RPTNC or RPSMA

So what I am thinking, is it comes with no pigtail/cable. That is fine, 12.25 shipped from ebay has me a 3ft RPSMA to N cable. So still, 37.25 compared to 43.

Is there any difference between the 2? I think the SCB10X is newer, but is it better? Thanks!

The one bit of information that matters the most with an antenna is the gain. That, of course, is the one thing that you don't have listed for either. Since cantennas are a dime a dozen, and the names are rather generic, some links to the specific antennas you are looking at may help get you an answer that will help you.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

The standard 4dbi omni with the awus036h is rather impressive IMHO
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    The one bit of information that matters the most with an antenna is the gain. That, of course, is the one thing that you don't have listed for either. Since cantennas are a dime a dozen, and the names are rather generic, some links to the specific antennas you are looking at may help get you an answer that will help you.
    Extremely good point.

2 problems.

1. I can't post links yet. Otherwise I would have, they were both rated at 12dbi though.

2. The bidding for it ended on ebay, there was only one for buy it now. O well.

My next question, is this. Which is better, Cantenna or BiQuad? Both rated at 12dBi.

hyper text transfer protocol color slash slash tinyurl dot com/69vebw

hyper text transfer protocol color slash slash tinyurl dor com/6rdn7r

Thanks

Cantenna = great for point-to-point links over distance,not great for other work though....

Bi-Quad = great for wide range capture,EXCELLENT for WPA handshakes too

Dont buy one though dude, make one they are so simple its unreal, the 1.5mm copper solid core cable you'll need it found in 18A domestic wiring (for linking your cooker straight to fusebox). And it makes a HUGE difference btw, using 0.5mm cable like you'd pull out a domestic lead means you only have 15-20% of the 'volume' of copper probe at the back of the can.

I have various cans and quads (a double bi-quad too!),plus a 9dbi omni and a hawking usb dish antenna and i find a simple bi-quad that cost me about £3 for ALL parts from my local Maplin store is the one i reach for most. Just can't beat it!

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Just burned his ISO

If you can wait about two days, my Ubiquiti SRC should be coming in. I have that 12dbi Cantenna you're mentioning prepped for it. I could review it and let you know after tinkering around for a few hours or more. Then again, the biquad and cantenna, to my understanding are somewhat different. The cantenna is more of a directional antenna with about a 30 degree beam width more suitable for point to point approaches (Point and Shoot). The biquad is not so much as directional as the cantenna. It's known to have a beam width of 40+ degrees for wider coverage of an area. I guess you could say one requires more precision than the other. So it all depends on what you're looking to do with your antenna mate. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by then00b View Post
    My next question, is this. Which is better, Cantenna or BiQuad? Both rated at 12dBi.
    The cantenna probably has a gain of 8 dBi (and really, not very much more than this). Without a cone, this is about the maximum capability of this antenna. It is really quite a wide beamwidth antenna (without cone), with a -3dB BW of ~80 degrees.

A well made biquad will have approximately 11 dBi of gain. It is a little narrower in beamwidth.

The "builder" of the biquad shown in your link came here trying to encourage BT users to buy his antenna. After we pointed out some of his antenna's deficiencies, he started calling some of us names and stormed off in a huff - a real cry baby.

Also, take claims of "gain" with a grain of salt, unless proof of this gain is provided (and I don't mean a NETSTUMBLER plot). The claim that a cantenna has 12dBi of gain is pretty ridiculous. Also, the claim that a biquad has 12dBi of gain is generously stretching the truth (especially the one in the link provided).

So I am getting the vibe that the BiQuad is better what I am doing? I am just getting a good signal from downstairs, maybe doing some wep cracking, maybe just scanning my neighborhood for unencrypted networks, see how many networks I can get...I don't know.

So I am looking at a BiQuad or a Cantenna (I can make a cone with some aluminum foil I guess, I have seen some pics of them on the web) but maybe not the EXACT BiQuad I linked to.

I will wait for the guy who posted (sorry too lazy to scroll down and get your name) to get his new card and try out the Cantenna.

Still am open to any suggestions, I am in no hurry.

Just burned his ISO

My order looks like it will be coming in tomorrow or the day after, so I will keep you up to date on it. Toaster is right though. It's pretty easy to build one and it works just as well. You'll more likely learn more about antennas and the such that way too. My girlfriend only bought me my cantenna because she noticed I had been looking up information on them an awful lot lately. She's a sweetheart.

While you're waiting though, you could search up the forum on other types of antennas to keep you busy

What wireless adapter do you have on you anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by CainM View Post
    My order looks like it will be coming in tomorrow or the day after, so I will keep you up to date on it. Toaster is right though. It's pretty easy to build one and it works just as well. You'll more likely learn more about antennas and the such that way too. My girlfriend only bought me my cantenna because she noticed I had been looking up information on them an awful lot lately. She's a sweetheart.

While you're waiting though, you could search up the forum on other types of antennas to keep you busy

What wireless adapter do you have on you anyway?
    Gotta love chicks that buy you computer stuff!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast