Thread: GUI interface for linux programs

Lightbulb GUI interface for linux programs

I appreciate and have nothing against the konsole, or anything like that, But wouldn't it be easier to create a GUI for most of the BT3 programs? I don't believe it would be that hard... but I'm new to programming, and I have no idea how to make buttons actually do anything. I could probably do it in HTML but then there is the problem of how to turn HTML commands into linux syntax shell commands. Any help for a Noob wanna-be programmer?

PS: I plan on learning RUBY and C# in the future, but right now I'm WAY to busy.
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by Amlord1 View Post
    I appreciate and have nothing against the konsole, or anything like that, But wouldn't it be easier to create a GUI for most of the BT3 programs? I don't believe it would be that hard... but I'm new to programming, and I have no idea how to make buttons actually do anything. I could probably do it in HTML but then there is the problem of how to turn HTML commands into linux syntax shell commands. Any help for a Noob wanna-be programmer?

PS: I plan on learning RUBY and C# in the future, but right now I'm WAY to busy.
    Shamanvirtual (that's probably not spelled right)made some for the aircrack apps with java. He's been MIA for a few weeks now though. Gui's are all nice and handy, but there are several people here that don't use them at all.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Amlord1 View Post

First of all most of the tools included in BT are not actually developed either for or by the Backtrack dev team so your request might be better suited for the actual developers of the tools that you are refering to

Secondly and more importantly, there is actually a good reason why many tools are command line only. Once you get accustomed to the commands you will find that they are much easier and faster to access through simple commands, or scripts that you easily can write yourself, than through a bloated GUI. It is also much easier to combine different tools, for example pipe john the ripper into aircrack-ng, using commands. And finally the tools will be less CPU and RAM intensive and also possible to run remotely through for example SSH, which can be a huge benefit.

That being said, quite a few of the tools do have GUI frontends as well, SpoonWEP/WPA for aircrack-ng, XHydra for Hydra and even ettercap has one to name a few.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Thanks guys. You made a good point. I wasn't considering that with a GUI it limits what you can do. But your absolutely right. And I guess it would be be better for me to get used to it, because there wont always be a GUI.
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

If you plan on ever being a programmer, you better get use to not using GUI, but creating it with code. C# and Ruby? Does anyone even use Ruby anymore? Learn C++ or C and Perl or Python.

O and HTML is strictly for Web sites, you cant use HTML code for programs. lol!
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Quote Originally Posted by Shavx View Post
    If you plan on ever being a programmer, you better get use to not using GUI, but creating it with code. C# and Ruby? Does anyone even use Ruby anymore? Learn C++ or C and Perl or Python.

I wouldn't go that far. I've used web based applications. It just uses the html/css as a front end for running things. We're not trying to discourage the OP, well at least I'm not. Gui's are handy for some things, a properly set up one can make things easier/faster. There's only so much asci Pr0n you can look at before you fire up X.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Meh

I was working on a project that used both Ruby and C/C++ for a multi-treaded, multi-socket application. They worked well together. Originally we had a Ruby web server that interpreted the commands from a web page and gave them to the C/C++ app which did whatever.

So technically you could use HTML as part of the program (Shavx: I know what you were saying, that you cannot make a complete program in HTML, but was just trying to clear it up). And yes, Ruby is still around and kicking.

I know you can't use it for programs.. But I have seen it used for the "GUI" (run through firefox like web apps.)

This question was already resolved.

JMC31337

Default Granny GUI

naaa l33t is command line
    granny GUI is for the lamars

hahahah GTK+