Thread: Wireless router with USB

Default Wireless router with USB

Heyas!
    Not really BT-related topic, so I'll post it in wireless discussion. I'd like to get myself one of those routers that come with at least one integrated USB port. I plan to install the OpenWRT firmware on it and do some experimenting with various USB devices.

Can you recommend a good model?

I just got a Linksys WRT350N v1, and it is working pretty well. I wanted to use OpenWRT, but lack experience with it, so I stuck with using DD-WRT because it works with the WRT350N well. So far I can add storage to the router, but haven't been able to get it to detect printers yet. I'm using v24 SP1, which is based off of whiterussian.
    ThinkPad T400

Interesting, I'm not seeing much response on this topic...
    Doing a little searching, I see very few models exist that support USB, a few of the notable are WRTSL54GS, WRT350N and WRT600N.

Just burned his ISO

Im not sure if a custom firmware is available in these device. http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/index.html

Just burned his ISO

i would suggest openwrt kamikaze, the newer version with the LuCi (web interface) has a lot of upgrades and newer ports, you can install it bare or with the interface. has a dynamic pkg utility, like slapt-get, named opkg, finally upgraded from the all too buggy ipkg. you can cross-compile virtually anything, even use pivot_root with a backtrack3 usb i have been messin around with routers for a few yrs now, and honestly, you can't beat remote drones, what i mean is, i have a router in my trunk runin off a PoE adapter, one in my closet, and 4 more at friends houses. just make sure to get an atheros chipset or a patchable broadcom (if you're really into it, get a router board and throw in your own radios, or get a router with minipci n buy yourself a more powerful one). there are plenty of wants to mod, and plenty of support. you can have a remote autopwn drone ap with access to much more networks than u ever did in no time with a few bash scripts Currently working on an "evilap" project, but this one is a whole firmware not just a script acting as a rogue, this is more like a wireless interceptor. also a nice little script that runs with dd-wrt is "AutoAP", which makes sure you always have a connection, and using a dyndns plugin or rssh, you always have access. the router itself doesn't need to have much space, because there's always mount gotta love sshfs+rssh dynamic vpn meshing :P let's put it this way, if you play your cards right, you can have a roofnet consisting of 30 ap's in a matter of about an hr, the avg home user wouldn't notice a change if u kept an active dhcp server using prior leases, maintaining ssid, adding upnp for "out-the-box-kiddies", no need for a webui, randomize your access ports, you now have a virtual gateway just waiting for action I would give out some more info about this project, but as we all know, kids love to point and click, and noobs love new "autopwn" toolz, we're loading up the net with kiddies n mass rooters, there's no need for them to get an even bigger incentive pushing towards identity theft... but for those interested, and skilled, there is work to be done, drop me a line, i'll give ya the project info if interested, i would really love to get this one picked up, it's an all-around gem will be a diamond as soon as wicopy is dropped but that's another story hehe ...

i have an airlink 101 ar430w (atheros 200mhz/4mb flash), not bad once u get passed redboot, good range, good cracking speed, but of a bitch to tweak without risking to brick. have 4 asus wl-520gu's (broadcom 240mhz/4mb flash/usb2.0), haven't tested them too much, just threw on dd-wrt, openwrt, tomatoe to see what's what, i'd still stick to openwrt cuz it's so versatile to the point where u have a fully operational *nix distro loaded. installed two buffalo whr-hp-g54's (broadcom ~200mhz/4mb flash), imo, best as far as stability, unbrickable, range (has a built-in amp), but, it's a broadcom... although the whr-g125's do come atheros-based, they're a little harder to come buy seeing as how buffalo can't ship in the US! and then there's always "LaFonera", those come cheap, like $5 cheap n tiny, atheros-based, also very easy to change firmwares. You can basically build your own custom firmware with a little reading (buildroot-ng for openwrt), which would be suggested other than loading up precompiled firmwares bloated with stuff you wouldn't use, such as ppp... un less u want a secure ssh ppp tunnel which would be down right wrong, lol... ppp should be wiped off the face of the earth along side with microsoft which still distribuites that block of cheese with vista aswell... gotta love the good 'ol boys for givin us work but if you don't like any of those models, load up dd-wrt[dot]com and openwrt[dot]org and check out the forums or the supported devices lists until u find one that fits your needs.