Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No network cards detected

Just burned his ISO

Default No network cards detected

Running BackTrack 3 Final based off the USB iso image on the site on a SD card. The computer running it is an Asus Eee PC 1000HA with the Atheros 5700 card. The issue here is that no nics are being detected at all. Even with the various fixes and hacks that have been posted, I have no network cards coming up on "ifconfig -a" besides the local loopback.

The card itself is working, as I have tested it in Windows XP, Slax (Off a USB), and SLES 10 with no problems.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Just burned his ISO

Just try to find newer driver
    or chek the kernel maybe
    my dell 1390 had same proplem
    i slov the proplem with new driver

and sorry for my bad english

Default *

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    The computer running it is an Asus Eee PC 1000HA with the Atheros 5700 card.
    As far as I know, you need the madwifi-ng driver[1] for that card :)

[1]: http:// www.offensive-security.com/madwifi.tgz

Just burned his ISO

The madwifi drivers were installed. No results.
    BIOS has been updated. No results.
    BackTrack was installed to the hard drive and the kernel updated to the latest revision. Still no results.

What is the exact lspci output of that device? you may need to use/enable ath9k

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 1026 (rev b0)
    I have since tested the live image of BackTrack based off the USB iso on two other EeePC 1000HA machines, and they experience the same problem.

Is it just me, or isn't that lspci-output saying anything about wireless? And the fact that the ethernet controller is listed as unknown device doesn't look too good.

Just burned his ISO

I believe the ethernet card doe snot have the drivers installed, as I have read that is a common problem with the 1000HA and BackTrack 3 final. However, the wireless card not being detected is my prikmary concern.

I was able to get BackTrack 3 final running flawlessly (Has Wi-Fi and supports monitoring and injection) on a 1000HA belonging to my co-worker. The only difference between the one I own and his is he has an extra 1GB RAM installed. However, this should not affect the ability to detect the wireless card, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

i have a similar problem.
    I've got an eeepc 701SD with backtrack installed on the 8Gb drive.
    So far i got 2 problems.

Problem 1 : Wireless network controller does not work
    Problem 2 :Ethernet controller does not work.

lspci output of both problems gives me this :

01:00.0 Network controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. Unknown device 8199 (rev 22)
    03/00.0 Ethernet controller : Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 1026 (rev b0)

I know i need drivers for it but i can't seem to find a link or a howto.
    Any help is welcome.

c

Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    Hi,

i have a similar problem.
    I've got an eeepc 701SD with backtrack installed on the 8Gb drive.
    So far i got 2 problems.

Problem 1 : Wireless network controller does not work
    Problem 2 :Ethernet controller does not work.

lspci output of both problems gives me this :

01:00.0 Network controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. Unknown device 8199 (rev 22)
    03/00.0 Ethernet controller : Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 1026 (rev b0)

I know i need drivers for it but i can't seem to find a link or a howto.
    Any help is welcome.

c
    Booya!! This took me several hours, but this is the fix for the Attansic card:

1. download this file: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/wal2/l1e-linux-v1.0.1.0.tar.gz to the desktop.

2. Open a terminal and issue these commands:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    tar zxvf l1e-linux-v1.0.1.0.tar.gz
    cd src/
    make
    make install
    cd /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/
    insmod atl1e.ko
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd  eth0
    Success. You should now have a fully functional wired NIC on your Eee PC 701SD.

Now then. There is one caveat. I just got my 701SD two days ago, and I replaced the 8GB SSD with a 64GB SSD. I installed BackTrack 3 Final to the 64GB SSD in a dual boot configuration with Windows XP. After a couple of hours trying to get the wired NIC to work, I decided that I may have borked my install.

I then booted the Eee PC 701SD from an SDHC card, into a live BackTrack session. All of the commands above were issued within a live session. I am not sure, but I believe I'll also have to add the module to the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file, in an installed environment, in order for these changes to be permanent.

I'll post back in a bit.

Sites Referenced:
    http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action...parentID=24404
    http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/wal2/atheros_attansic.html
    http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us (in case you can't get to previous link)

--Edit--

You shouldn't have to do anything after following the previous instructions.

Maybe somebody more experienced than myself would like to create an .lzm from this?

Moving ahead. I cheated on the wifi card. I have an Eee PC 701, and I swapped its wifi card for the one inside the Eee PC 701SD. That was a bit of a pain. It works as it should though.

Now then. I'm going to try and get the soundcard working in the 701SD. Once I have that squared away, I'll rewrite Windows XP's mbr, and reinstall BackTrack 3 Final in a dual boot configuration.

--Edit--

To get the soundcard working, install alsa-driver 1.0.18a: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/drive....0.18a.tar.bz2

Code:
    tar jxvf alsa-driver-1.0.18a.tar.bz2
    cd alsa-driver-1.0.18a
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    What fun! Don't forget: Google is our friend, and the search function within these forums is great. Use the search function instead of posting the same questions over and over. You'll have less to read through.

Bonus: The mouse on the Eee PC 701SD works out of the box. Use two fingers to scroll.

Bonus 2: You might want to try buying one of these cards, and one of these antennas. The realtek MiniPCIe card inside the Eee PC 701SD only has one antenna. I bought the same Gigabyte card for another laptop and it works out of the box with BackTrack 3 Final.

I'll add all this to the wiki's HCL:Laptops section after I get some sleep.

I highly recommend that anyone considering modifying their EeePC (whichever model you have), do some homework on how to take it apart. Like I said, she's a bit of a pain.

Be well
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast