Thread: I really need your help guys... =/

Just burned his ISO

Default I really need your help guys... =/

Ok guys i really don't know where to start...

I became interested in wifi hacking one year ago or one and half years ago, not sure now, but ended up giving up because of the lack of info at the time and because i was using the dreaded windows and those damn aplications that didn't do anything...
    At the time i came across Wifoo (the book) and started reading it... but eventually i gave up again because the tools (pda's and other stuff) were to expensive to me...

2 weeks ago i found backtrack 3 Final, and thought to myself "ok this is it" watched a couple of demos on offensive-security and on youtube, and I was amazed, so I started using it, booted it from the usb stick and everything went smoothly... messed arround with it for a while, and dicided to install it on the hdd, I followed mutts tutorial on offensive security with little tweaks of my own to suit my needs, and then dicided to try the real wifi hacking... read a couple of tutorials about it but nothing seems to work, I don't colect any data with airodump-ng I can't start monitor mode with airmon-ng (but if i use iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor it works or if i fire up kismet it works to) I also noticed when I start kismet it reads the drivers from intel pro wireless 3945, but I am using the newer one intel pro wireless 4965 wich aren't present or anything i really don't know...

i have also tried updating my kernel to 2.6.27.6 and it worked but i don't know how to configure the xconfig so i ended up with a kernel correctly installed, but when i tried to use my wireless device to conect to internet normally, (not to hack or anything) linux wouldn't recognize it... so I ended up reinstalling linux and doing it all again, to end up in the same situation again (this happend to me twice), i also tried to install 4965 drivers but no luck with that...
    As you can see i tried to do a lot of things and read alot and not acting like a noob and post on the forum as soon as i have a problem (and trust me i had way more than those i described here)...

Right now i have a new installation of backtrack on the hdd (yes i deleted it and reinstalled it all over again) my wireless card is intel pro wirless 4965abgn(i also know that this card doesn't suport packet injection, (i do know that a patch is already out for it))
    what i would like to ask to you guys is: can anybody please write a noob proof tutorial to help me out... i hope so... or at least help with some directions cause i am clueless here i don't know what else to do, what i also would like to ask is don't just say do this or do that i am linux noob so if you can say do this and then explain what i have to do it would be much better (i know how to do this its just an exemple... for exemple: you would say edit lilo.conf but if didn't know what lilo is or how to edit it i couldn't do anything)
    so guys i think i said everything i needed... and hope you guys can help me out...

Cheers Grim Reaper

Well i have to warn you, this website will only help you if you are pen-testing (hacking) your own property...with that said. There are many fool proof tuts on WEP cracking on this site, all over the web, and just about every where else you look.
    Another fool proof way of hacking is through net-bois.
    Here are some tools that will be of use, simple to use, and great to start with.

aircrack-ng suit: Crack WEP/WPA
    dnstrace: Map out a dns.
    nslookup: obtain remote IP address for web domains
    nmap: To can IP address and ports
    nmblookup: Get valid HDD paths for net-bios
    smbclient: Connect to open net-bios ports
    wireshark: Sniff passwords and messages
    driftnet: to view pictures going in and out of your network

To learn, i would suggest looking around in this site learning as you go, there are alot of experienced people here if you have your mind set on one type of "hacking" e.g. WEP cracking.

Happy Hacking

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Reaper View Post
    for exemple: you would say edit lilo.conf but if didn't know what lilo is or how to edit it i couldn't do anything)
    You could for example: Google "lilo", "lilo.conf" or "edit lilo.conf".

There are quite a few very good tutorials on this forum for testing wireless security, here are a few:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230

However if your wireless card does not support injection(I have not checked, I'm taking your word for it) and the AP is not generating any data, you need to generate data on your network with a connected client.
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the answer UG Cyber, i am not planning to hack other people networks, i am planning to hack mine just to have fun to challenge myself... i got my own internet connection don't need someone else's...

i know there is alot of tutorials around the net the problem is that is no tutorial for my wireless card only for the older one (mine is intel 4965 but i only find tutorials on the intel 3945) and backtrack isn't compatible with my wireless card unless i update the kernel, but i don't know how to modify the Xconfig... even if i end up updating the kernel i think the 4965 doesn't suport packet injection so i have to install the patch but i don't know how to do it... its this that i need help...

by the way thanks for your sugestions i already copied your sugestions to a notepad to try it out later but i need to try wep cracking first and then move to bigger fish...

So I ask again if anybody here has this wireless card intel pro wirless 4965 abgn that could tell me what to do or could write a tutorial I would be very happy...

Thanks guys

Grim Reaper

Thanks for your reply pynstorm...

I know that i can search thats how i learn to do most of the stuff in linux... but this is getting in my head... i can't find any tutorial for editing Xconfig i can't find any way to install the patches for packet injection suport on my card i can't find any tutorials of wep cracking with my card (this isn't a big problem but the other two are)....

as i have said when i replied to UG Cyber if anybody here has this card and can point me in the right direction i would be very happy...

Hope you guys can help me.

Grim Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by UG_Cyber View Post
    Well i have to warn you, this website will only help you if you are pen-testing (hacking) your own property...with that said. There are many fool proof tuts on WEP cracking on this site, all over the web, and just about every where else you look.
    Totally correct. Moreover people would help you more if you chose an appropriate title for your thread describing your problem/issue !!!
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Just burned his ISO

well yeah i created it, it was 4 in the morning or something... but yeah bad choice of thread title... but can't do anything now can i??

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Reaper View Post
    i can't find any tutorial for editing Xconfig i can't find any way to install the patches for packet injection suport on my card i can't find any tutorials of wep cracking with my card (this isn't a big problem but the other two are)....
    Sounds like you did only half of your homework:

http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum...p?topic=3954.0
    (It's Ubuntu but with a little tweaking you can do it in BT too)

http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/xorg.conf.5.html
    (just to clarify there are plenty of tuts how to edit xorg.)

And wep cracking with your card isn't different from any other card that can monitor mode and injection.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Just burned his ISO

Hi Terminal...

Thanks well you are right, well sort of... the first link i have found it after posting here... and read about it, but for what i understood it can only be done with ubuntu and i don't want move away from Backtrack now that i found it...

about the 2nd link its extremely easy to find tuts for the Xorg.conf, but thats not what i am talking about, i am talking about Xconfig (you use it to configure your kernel make Xconfig).

once again thanks terminal if you could elaborate more on adapting the tutorial for backtrack i don't think i can do it... so if you can help me i'll be glad.

Grim Reaper

guys Please i really need your help!!! Terminal please elaborate a litlle bit more i am in the dark here!!!
    Help me out please!

I see that noone can help me so mods if yo want you can close this thread