Thread: is there a comptability issue on usb-keys?

Just burned his ISO

Default is there a comptability issue on usb-keys?

Hi all,

My question is: does anyone experienced a comptalibity issue with a usb-key?

I bought myself a 4gb stick / key to put BT3 on it for booting indepently. I followed several tutorials (unrar the iso, copied to the stick, and make the bootinst.bat bootable). I'am using windows for this process. During the process of making the stick bootable, I kept recieving an pop-up error-message in Windows. The error is in the "syslinux.exe" file.
    After the process is ending, it indicates that it was succesful and the keys currently is bootable. But none of my computers recognizes the boot-file at start-up. I checked the set-up, but these were okay.

So can there be a comptability problem with the usb key?

Does anybody experience the same during the making of the bootable file using the windows-proces? And how can it be solved?

Feedback is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Dutch

If your using Vista you got to run as Administror - the UAC control can cause you problems.

I have not had any probs running the bat file under XP.

Another possibility is to burn BT3 to CD - boot from it then run the makeboot.sh under BT3

Just burned his ISO

I feel a kind of silly. The tutorial is so straightforward and although I'm recieving this problem. Well I running windows XP home edition and I have administrator rights.

I'm not dare to do the same in Linux because of the difference in filestructure. If I have to use the shell, I will be sure that I make bootable the correct drive. The danger is there that I will mass up the MBR of the machine in stead of the usb key.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I feel a kind of silly. The tutorial is so straightforward and although I'm recieving this problem. Well I running windows XP home edition and I have administrator rights.

I'm not dare to do the same in Linux because of the difference in filestructure. If I have to use the shell, I will be sure that I make bootable the correct drive. The danger is there that I will mass up the MBR of the machine in stead of the usb key.
    If you are that worried, why not unplug power to the hard drive and/or the data cable?

Just burned his ISO

All,

The problem is solved!! I tried another key. That worked although I followed the same process. I think that there is an incomptability issue here.

This thread can be closed!!!

It's working awesome the new BT3. Many thanks to the developpers!!!

Was it a U3 enabled usb drive?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Barry, I'm not sure of the key that didn't worked, can be an U2 or an U3. I've thowed the package away. But I can tell you that the key that afterall worked, was an U2 enabled key.

Are the U3 enabled keys not working with Backtrack??

Do you think that I can make the key working any way??

Dutch