Thread: Question

Just burned his ISO

Default Question

Hi, I'm new here and I can't find some answers to my question....

First, can I use BackTrack 3 on Windows XP SP3(Home Edition)

Second, Which version I must download to use it properly on Windows?

p.s. sorry for that newbie questions

Default hey there

Hey, not a problem at all. All executable in Linux are highly compatible with Windows however we haven't tested them on Windows XP Service Pack 3 only Service Pack 2. First, copy the /pentest folder from the CD-ROM to your C:\ drive. Then rename whatever application you want to use with a .exe extension and your all set.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by relik View Post
    Hey, not a problem at all. All executable in Linux are highly compatible with Windows however we haven't tested them on Windows XP Service Pack 3 only Service Pack 2. First, copy the /pentest folder from the CD-ROM to your C:\ drive. Then rename whatever application you want to use with a .exe extension and your all set.

Enjoy!
    haha be nice relik .. if only life were that easy :P

To the OP:

BackTrack is an independent Linux operating system. Just like there is Windows and Mac, there is Linux.
    Now there still is a way to run BackTrack inside of Windows. That would require virtualization software. Look into VMWare Player.
    - Poul Wittig

Quote Originally Posted by relik View Post

Enjoy!
    So PLZ tell me this will work on my unpatched XP Home Edition?!?! I really need to get pwning stuffs RLY fast and would like a complimentary spoonfeed on this. Also, I'll try to phone you at the office # for support on BT4 - you're a great man for offering this free support!!!

KTHX
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

As Deathray has alluded to already, Backtrack is a fully-fledged operating system.

When you have an operating system on a CD for instance, you have to boot off the CD in order to use that operating system. ("Boot off" means you put the CD in your CD drive, then reboot your computer and hope that instead of loading the operating system on your hard disk, it loads the operating system off the CD).

Again, as Deathray mentioned, there's another way of doing it though, you can get yourself some "virtualisation" software for Windows that loads the Backtrack operating system as if it were just another program like Microsoft Word. I've never actually done this, so I can't comment on it. I'm a bit of a purist, I like to boot off the CD.

So first thing's first, have you got a bootable Backtrack CD (or DVD)?
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Default uh oh

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    So PLZ tell me this will work on my unpatched XP Home Edition?!?! I really need to get pwning stuffs RLY fast and would like a complimentary spoonfeed on this. Also, I'll try to phone you at the office # for support on BT4 - you're a great man for offering this free support!!!

KTHX
    EEEEK!!!! All calls are being redirected to TheX1le.