Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom card not working with BT3 usb

Just burned his ISO

Default Broadcom card not working with BT3 usb

I just installed bt3 usb and I am having problems with my wireless card working. I am using a Broadcom 4318 wireless card on a HP Pavilion zv6000. When I airodump it shows up the routers but when I try to connect it will fails. I have also tried this from shell. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bbright20 View Post
    I just installed bt3 usb and I am having problems with my wireless card working. I am using a Broadcom 4318 wireless card on a HP Pavilion zv6000. When I airodump it shows up the routers but when I try to connect it will fails. I have also tried this from shell. Any suggestions?
    What are the exact commands and errors that you get when trying to connect and how far from the access point are you? I have personally used a card with this chipset successfully on BT3 so I know that it does indeed work. However, most broadcom cards have rather weak output power, this one included, which means that you will have to be quite close to the AP in order to be able to connect.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote:
    ifconfig <interface> up
    iwconfig <interface> essid "ESSID"
    iwconfig <interface> mode Managed
    dhcpcd -nd <interface>

WEP - any wireless card

Quote:
    ifconfig <interface> up
    iwconfig <interface> essid "ESSID"
    iwconfig <interface> key HEXKEY
    iwconfig <interface> mode Managed
    dhcpcd -nd <interface>
    *** Note if using ascii key instead of hex key you do the following
    iwconfig <interface> s:asciikey
    WPA with Ralink cards, e.g RT61

Quote:
    ifconfig <interface> up
    iwconfig <inteface> essid "ESSID"
    iwpriv <interface> set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    iwpriv <interface> set EncrypType=TKIP
    iwpriv <interface> set WPAPSK="WPAPSKKEY"
    dhcpcd -nd <interface>

Taking from hm2075.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    What are the exact commands and errors that you get when trying to connect and how far from the access point are you? I have personally used a card with this chipset successfully on BT3 so I know that it does indeed work. However, most broadcom cards have rather weak output power, this one included, which means that you will have to be quite close to the AP in order to be able to connect.
    ifconfig eth1 up
    iwconfig eth1 essid "ESSID"
    iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
    dhcpcd -nd eth1

This is the commands that I am trying. I am not getting any errors. I will just do nothing. I am within 15 to 20 ft. from my router. Thanks

ifconfig eth1 up
    iwconfig eth1 essid "ESSID"
    iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
    dhcpcd -nd eth1

This is the commands that I am trying. I am not getting any errors. I will just do nothing. I am within 15 to 20 ft. from my router. Thanks
    Try using this command before the others in order to clear out any previous dhcpc configurations:
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*

Just burned his ISO

Alright I will give that a try. Thanks for all the help.

Just burned his ISO

I have this exact card and it is not weak in anyway. It can pick up networks that my other 4 cards can't even see. It works perfect in windows with a strong signal from 300 feet away.BBright I have searched a dozen forums...it's got to BackTrack drivers, not your card, or some other problem. This card works great for cracking and signal strength.. trying to get wifi up is the hard part. I love Backtrack...but know I see why people pay for Windows! There needs to be a working wifi assistant...the built in one just crashes constantly. When I try wlassistant it connects/says it's connected and then a minute latter crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by devinmccloud View Post
    I have this exact card and it is not weak in anyway. It can pick up networks that my other 4 cards can't even see. It works perfect in windows with a strong signal from 300 feet away.BBright I have searched a dozen forums...it's got to BackTrack drivers, not your card, or some other problem. This card works great for cracking and signal strength.. trying to get wifi up is the hard part. I love Backtrack...but know I see why people pay for Windows! There needs to be a working wifi assistant...the built in one just crashes constantly. When I try wlassistant it connects/says it's connected and then a minute latter crashes.
    The fact that it can pick up these networks does not have anything with its strength to do. I can only speak out of personal experience, but the internal card I have with this specific chipset is nowhere as sensitive as your seems to be and will not recognize networks unless they are nearby. When it actually comes to connecting to these networks it will not be able to make itself heard unless the wireless AP is close by, which means that the transmission power is rather weak. But once again, this is merely my personal opinion and I am glad that your card performs better.

As for your actual problem, simply use the command line to connect as the wireless assistant is rather buggy and will introduce many problems unrelated to the actual card/driver. The appropriate commands have been posted countless times on the forum already so you should have no problem finding them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Try using this command before the others in order to clear out any previous dhcpc configurations:
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*
    Even after using this command I am still unable to connect to a network. I have tried this on multiple networks and I am within 15 ft. of both of them. I have borrowed a friends wireless card before and had no problems.

If I am not mistaking aren't most wireless cards tuned down to about 50% power? If so how can I increase the power of my wireless card. Is that really going to make a difference though? Thanks for all the help!

I've a broadcom too and all is working well, injection, etc...

are you sure that you have a 4318 ?
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#supported

You can start again from the beginning and remove any protections from your router.

be sure that you're not in monitor mode.
    start wlan assistant and try connection auto with dhcp, if it doesn't work you can configure it manually. You must know your router ip, gateway, etc...

Another way is to install b43-fwcutter.

http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

and last solution but injection will never work.

ndiswrapper + your windows drivers

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=93482
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast