Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best USB Wireless Adapter for WPA???

sLiPpErY

Exclamation Best USB Wireless Adapter for WPA???

For using Aircrack-ng suite what is the best for cracking WPA and WEP, I've found WUSB54GC and can get this in 30min if needed but i've read problems on a handshake and well that means I can't crack WPA.... I have a PCMCIA netgear card that can do it all, but i can't use it in my new laptop.. Gateway model W350A or T-1625 (bestbuy model). Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Just burned his ISO

Regarding the WPA if you have the Handshake then you have to use Aircrack-ng to find the passphrase. i don't think that a USB device will make any difference.

Im not sure it matters what kind of card you are using, if it can go into monitor mode it should be able to grab a handshake. As for what USB card to get, id go with the ALFA 500mw USB. Its powerful and works out of the box.
    Morpheus: "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "What if I take both?"

Morpheus: "Don't do that! You end up like Nick Nolte!"

fastboi

Edimax 7318usg or linksys wusb54gc works great. I heard good words about Hawking HWUG1 too. It is really up to you, honestly you can not go wrong with any of these usb dongles. Hope that helps

Have Fun

sLiPpErY

I bought a llinksyswusb54gc and so far it seems to be working good after I updated the drivers i got off Aircrack's site. All is well I've sucessfully cracked my own WPA but then again my password was password just wanted to try it to see how easy it really is to crack... I'm a noob at linux, I had Backtrack 2 a year or so ago and have been to busy to learn it, so now I have Backtrack 3 and am ready and egar to learn all I can. I work on GE 1.5 MW Wind Turbines, and have noticed tar.gz files used in the Turbines pitch system, so now i'm going to find out whats in them... I have many sites bookmarked and ready to read.... Thanks for your advice guys! See you around!

Just burned his ISO

Edimax 7318usg, it can go to monitor mode and it supports deauthentication attack to grap the handshake.
    It also has an external RP-SMA connector, so you can detach the 4db antenna and attach what antenna you want!

sLiPpErY

I bought a llinksyswusb54gc and so far it seems to be working good after I updated the drivers i got off Aircrack's site. All is well I've sucessfully cracked my own WPA
    fastboi

honestly you can not go wrong with any of these usb dongles
    Hi there,

It seems like the more I read the less I know. I almost bought a USB wireless dongle ( a llinksyswusb54gc) but at the last minute I hesitated. sLiPpErY and fastboi, you seem pretty happy with those things but then I checked out the Madwifi.org site and saw this

At this time MadWifi does not support any USB devices. It's unlikely that MadWifi itself will be extended for USB support, as the USB devices have a largely different architecture.
    I have a wireless card (1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card) built in to my Dell Inspiron 1526 and I run Vista and Ubuntu on dual boot and BT2 (can't boot BT3 somehow). BT2 and kismet/Aircrack-ng on Ubuntu monitor well enough but I can't seem to inject. I thought a recommended USB dongle would be a cheap and quick fix but now I'm unsure.

Seriously, I've read posts which say Atheros chipsets are the only way to go and read others that say they are limited. I"m really confused. Probably this is due to ignorance so I belong here in the newbie Area. Any advice? The search box refuses to give me a straight answer.

sLiPpErY

I have Atheros for a PCMCIA card but on certian machines i can't use that card, as the USB can go to any PC anywhere.... and usb is used everywhere.... I strongly suggest the WUSB54GC, it's not expensive and it has worked on WPA2 and WEP thus far.... On my PCMCIA card i was getting PWR of 50 with this new card it's on average 30+ more that that.... STOCK with no directional antenna. You can't go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNano View Post
    It seems like the more I read the less I know. I almost bought a USB wireless dongle ( a llinksyswusb54gc) but at the last minute I hesitated. sLiPpErY and fastboi, you seem pretty happy with those things but then I checked out the Madwifi.org site and saw this
    Seriously, I've read posts which say Atheros chipsets are the only way to go and read others that say they are limited. I"m really confused. Probably this is due to ignorance so I belong here in the newbie Area. Any advice? The search box refuses to give me a straight answer.
    You are correct that the madwifi driver currently does not support any USB devices and you therefore should steer clear of any USB wireless card sporting an Atheros chipset. It is also correct that the madwifi driver is considered to be one of the most advanced Linux drivers for wireless cards. However, this is no reason to shun all other wireless cards as there are plenty of other great ones available, both internal and USB. The constant improvement of the aircrack-ng suite, including the new additions to it with airbase-ng etc., also makes it possible to get the same features that previously only was possible using the madwifi driver for several other chipsets and drivers .
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

sLiPpErY

I haven't used anything madwifi yet... rt73 drivers are what the WUSB54GC uses... I do use the aircrack suite tho... I'm also a noob tho... but so far i've gotten what i've set out to do accomplished and couldn't be happier.... whats so good about madwifi?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast