Thread: Please Help - BT2 will not find my wireless card!

Just burned his ISO

Default Please Help - BT2 will not find my wireless card!

Hey guys, after weeks of sifting thru posts trying to get BT3 to boot up correctly on either one of my Acer computers I gave up and dl'd BT2. Which amazingly, boots up great on my Acer Aspire 4520 laptop. The only problem I am having now is that it will not find my integrated wireless card.

1. I have tried hitting the hardwired wireless on/off button on my laptop right after I turned on the power and before BT2 boots. Did not work.

2. When I go into Kommand and type ifconfig it does list lo and eth0.

3. If I try to type ifconfig ath0 up it gives me an error:

ath0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

4. I do not know if I need to install Linux drivers or whatnot for my internal wireless card, or if so - how to even do that!

5. I would rather not use the program that somehow uses Windows drivers - I would like to fully learn BT2 and I need it to be fully functional.

Can anyone extend a little help please? I am good with computers but very new to Linux and BT2. Anyone been through this before and find a way to get the wireless card to show up? Do I need to go get a different wireless card to use?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Just burned his ISO

if it lists the device as eth0, then you need to be typing eth0 instead of ath0

ath0 is for wireless devices with an atheros chipset only

I might be wrong, but I think your card's chipset is the SiS163u. You might have to use ndiswrapper. (I couldn't find a native linux driver for the chipset on google)

If you're going to get a wireless dongle, I suggest the Alfa AWUS036H.

do
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    that will display all the devices you have... you might need to do

Code:
    ifconfig ath0 up
    if ath0 is infact your wireless device

check iwconfig also
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Just burned his ISO

I have an Atheros card, therefor I guessed the listing to be under ath0. The Eth has no wireless on it, I belive its my LAN card.

I dont want to use the swapper because as I said before I need full functionality.. :/