Thread: Help with getting Compiz to work?

Question Help with getting Compiz to work?

Hi all, I've recently installed KDE 4.1 on BT3 and now I'm trying to get Compiz working. I've been reading some threads around here on how to do this. Specifically this one, this one, and this one. This thread on slax.org has helped me a lot also. Anyway, where I stand is I have compiled a new driver for my card (which is an Nvidia GeForce Go 6200/6400) in slax 6.0.7 and migrated it to BT3 because I am using kernel 2.6.24.5 in BT3 and do not have a kernel-devel installed for 2.6.24.5.
    So after a long time getting the driver to work properly (and I'm still not sure that it is) I can now start X and I get an Nvidia logo before the KDE 4.1 splash screen and then KDE loads and does its thing. Once the desktop loads, I have a Compiz logo in my main panel and I have changed the default window decorator under session settings in system settings to Compiz instead of KWin. However, as with many others, I have no titlebars despite running the
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
    nvidia-xconfig -d 24
    commands that I've read worked for some people and also unlike in the first thread I mentioned above, I can not rotate the cube or do anything with Compiz. I'm sure it goes without saying, but this is becoming extremely frustrating and any help or a point in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ESC201 View Post
    Hi all, I've recently installed KDE 4.1 on BT3 and now I'm trying to get Compiz working. I've been reading some threads around here on how to do this. Specifically this one, this one, and this one. This thread on slax.org has helped me a lot also. Anyway, where I stand is I have compiled a new driver for my card (which is an Nvidia GeForce Go 6200/6400) in slax 6.0.7 and migrated it to BT3 because I am using kernel 2.6.24.5 in BT3 and do not have a kernel-devel installed for 2.6.24.5.
    So after a long time getting the driver to work properly (and I'm still not sure that it is) I can now start X and I get an Nvidia logo before the KDE 4.1 splash screen and then KDE loads and does its thing. Once the desktop loads, I have a Compiz logo in my main panel and I have changed the default window decorator under session settings in system settings to Compiz instead of KWin. However, as with many others, I have no titlebars despite running the
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
    nvidia-xconfig -d 24
    commands that I've read worked for some people and also unlike in the first thread I mentioned above, I can not rotate the cube or do anything with Compiz. I'm sure it goes without saying, but this is becoming extremely frustrating and any help or a point in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks!
    That tutorial of mine you listed was built around BT3b. I wrote another for use with BT3F here.

Have you edited your xorg to contain the

Code:
    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    code?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    That tutorial of mine you listed was built around BT3b. I wrote another for use with BT3F here.

Have you edited your xorg to contain the

Code:
    Section "Extensions"
    EndSection
    code?
    Yes, I have implemented that code. After following your BT3 final tutorial I still don't have any titlebars but the Compiz icon is in my system tray. I skipped over the lzm2dir'ing of the modules because I am using a live filesystem with changes on my flash drive if that makes any difference. I wish I could provide some more info but I don't know what to do from here. Is this a KDE 4.1 issue maybe?

Yes, I have implemented that code. After following your BT3 final tutorial I still don't have any titlebars but the Compiz icon is in my system tray. I skipped over the lzm2dir'ing of the modules because I am using a live filesystem with changes on my flash drive if that makes any difference. I wish I could provide some more info but I don't know what to do from here. Is this a KDE 4.1 issue maybe?
    It may be, but I haven't seen KDE break Compiz prior to this, if it is in-fact KDE that is the problem.

I would still follow the lzm2dir guidance. The only reason this whole process isn't included in the Live file system is that it an entirely optional aesthetic add-on. If you are going to utilize Compiz then just lzm2dir and leave it be. With changes enabled it might as well have been pre-packaged to begin with

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

I would still follow the lzm2dir guidance. The only reason this whole process isn't included in the Live file system is that it an entirely optional aesthetic add-on. If you are going to utilize Compiz then just lzm2dir and leave it be. With changes enabled it might as well have been pre-packaged to begin with

Okay I have lzm2dir'ed the cubez.lzm module and when I did the same with the nvidia module it broke the nvidia kernel module I had already installed. So I went back and reinstalled my nvidia module and now when I startx I still don't have any titlebars nor do I have a compiz icon now.

Some questions...
    Should 'cubez' be in my autoexec line?

I've noticed that in the syslinux.cfg file there is a 'chexpand=256' boot parameter for compiz, what is that and is it necessary?

Should I disable xconf from overwriting my xorg.conf file every time my system boots?

Would posting my xorg.conf file help?

Can't think of anything else....

Okay I have lzm2dir'ed the cubez.lzm module and when I did the same with the nvidia module it broke the nvidia kernel module I had already installed. So I went back and reinstalled my nvidia module and now when I startx I still don't have any titlebars nor do I have a compiz icon now.

Some questions...
    Should 'cubez' be in my autoexec line?

I've noticed that in the syslinux.cfg file there is a 'chexpand=256' boot parameter for compiz, what is that and is it necessary?

Should I disable xconf from overwriting my xorg.conf file every time my system boots?

Would posting my xorg.conf file help?

Can't think of anything else....
    Yes yes yes and yes: Cubez should be autoexec'd, you need chexpand, you should disable the xconf overwrite - once you do it manually you'll be set plus you need those changes anyway, and please post your xconf so I can see if there are any errors.

~ShadowKill

Yes yes yes and yes: Cubez should be autoexec'd, you need chexpand, you should disable the xconf overwrite - once you do it manually you'll be set plus you need those changes anyway, and please post your xconf so I can see if there are any errors.
    Here you go.

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Mon Apr 16 20:37:13 PDT 2007

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath         "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load           "dbe"
        Load           "extmod"
        Load           "type1"
        Load           "freetype"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
        VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Section "Extensions"
    EndSection

After a lot more time trying to figure out what is wrong I've come across the following error...

Code:
    xdpyinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libdmx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Anyone know of a fix?

After a lot more time trying to figure out what is wrong I've come across the following error...

Code:
    xdpyinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libdmx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Anyone know of a fix?
    Nevermind, I've fixed that problem by installing the libdmx.tgz package I found at http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/slackware/...0.2-i486-1.tgz

Now onto my next problem...