Thread: Creating BT3 DVD

Junior Member imported_Yottabit's Avatar

Question Creating BT3 DVD

I am currently creating a back|track 3 dvd with spoonwpa, the charon beta, spoonwep2, wink, gslapt, and pure_hate and -= xploitz =- massive wordlists plus some others i "found" . i am also trying to make a boot menu option to add wordlists lzm's in only when they are needed to keep boot time down. i would like to know:
    1. where is the boot record kept to make dvd bootable from? (mbr.bin or isolinux.boot)
    2. which *linux.cfg do i edit to add my boot option. iso,sys,both?
    3. does bt3 scan all dirs for lzm's or just modules and base folders?
    and 4. if i made it would anyone want it too? as an update maby? is that allowed?
    if a solution to a problem is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Yottabit View Post
    4. if i made it would anyone want it too? as an update maby? is that allowed?
    You are free to modify and re-distribute BT3 in any way you like. The modified version will however not be officially supported and therefore neither allowed to be distributed through the official channel. The reasons for this are many, but the main concern would be that it is impossible to guarantee that no compromising changes have been made to it without closely examining the new version.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    You are free to modify and re-distribute BT3 in any way you like. The modified version will however not be officially supported and therefore neither allowed to be distributed through the official channel. The reasons for this are many, but the main concern would be that it is impossible to guarantee that no compromising changes have been made to it without closely examining the new version.
    Tron is correct so although you are free to modify bt3 in anyway you wish I will have to ask you not to post links to it here or in any other official remote-exploit/offensive-security locations.

Default distribution cancelled then!

that is ok i just wanted to know this in advance before i uploaded it anywhere.

can either of you help with my other questions though? i have tried both of the possible mbr files i found and neither works. mbr.bin say's no operating system and the other is just the wrong file compleatly.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

Smile How about a tutorial instead? tell us what you did....

Instead of making a update/custom distro which for many reasons couldn't be linked or supported you could always lay out how you did it in the form of a tutorial for people to follow if they wished. I think that this is ok with the rules?

This would also be a good idea as things like wordlists are often custom created for jobs/languages/personal preference and people become quite attached to them.... They would probably want to follow your theory but use their own wordlists.

I would be interested in your tutorial and modifying it as a dodge-around untill i can get a PXE boot cluster working, 5 'live' dvd's into 5 computers working on the one handshake/LEAP (transfered on usb stick,so i dont burn a million dvds!), each one using a different part of the wordlists filling up the spare few gig on the dvd. Distributed computing at its simplist!

Any new additions to my wordlists that are not on the dvd can be handled by a spare machine, so i can reuse the dvds loads of times before neeeding to think about updating them.

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Exclamation Maybe you are on to something there?

ok i shall work on a text based tutorial to begin with. but as my own pc is a peice of sh**. could i get someone else to then make a video version of it. please

Be back with more soon

Thumbs down bt3 dvd tute

thinking about it i may not be the best person to ask to write a tutorial either. i can help people talking interactively, but i am finding it hard to write to a faceless reader. no offense to anyone but i suck at English. if all you want is a step by step list of what i have done you guys are gonna end up with spindles of trashed dvd's long before a working system.
    that is why i thought about making a custom one myself then distributing it if anyone asked for it. oh well. i'll keep posted of my personal progress and once this is all sorted in my head i'll try the tutorial and not before.

Smile Bad English not a barrier.....

Bad English is not really a barrier, sometimes it helps!

A few tutorials on this site (text and screenshots) have been done by people who use English as their 2nd language, it just usually means they explain everything step-by-step, not a bad thing!

I'll post up links to a few shortly, secureIT's wifizoo tutorial comes to mind. Also every computer than can run BackTrack can take a screen shot, so maybe start with a text and screen shot before advancing to a video tutorial.

Best of Luck

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Default idea the second

i've made my alteration's the only problem i had to do it under bt3 running live.
    now i wish to know is there a way to make a working iso of a running system?