Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: itt tech or self study?

Default itt tech or self study?

For a job in Information Security or Pentesting or anythingrelated:

Is it better to get a BS degree online at itt tech or should I just doself study and get my certifications one by one by myself?
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jhonnycage828 View Post
    For a job in Information Security or Pentesting or anythingrelated:

Is it better to get a BS degree online at itt tech or should I just doself study and get my certifications one by one by myself?
    There were two threads about that topic not long ago (think a week or so).
    Do a search about pentesting job or something similar and you will find them.
    Highly intressting discussion.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

You should do some research in your target employment market before deciding. Personally I know the company I work for now and my previous company didn't even bother interviewing anyone with ITT Tech as thier primary education.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    You should do some research in your target employment market before deciding. Personally I know the company I work for now and my previous company didn't even bother interviewing anyone with ITT Tech as thier primary education.
    You mean to say that their commercials aren't exactly true? People from ITT Tech don't really have the skills necessary to compete?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You mean to say that their commercials aren't exactly true? People from ITT Tech don't really have the skills necessary to compete?
    It helps them compete for that management position with firedog or geek squad.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

An institution is only as good as its teachers. I went to ITT for my junior/senior years and thought the school administration was abysmal. However, the saving grace were the outstanding teachers. Underpaid and overworked, but still willing to stay late and help with projects and research.

Any school can put out incompetent students. Granted, ITT has a higher percentage, but many are employable and technical. If I could do it over, I would have liked to attend a more reputable school. However, when you are raising a family and working from 8-5, your options are limited on when you can attend. ITT offered all my classes from 6-11 at night.

Thorin, your employer should reconsider!

William

Developer

I have some experience with ITT tech as well and my opinion is the same as williamc. Although the curriculum is not overly technical there are some extremely knowledgeable teachers at the one in my area. The more important thing which no one has mentioned is that ITT is accredited which is really the only thing that matters in a college really. So while just a ITT education may not get you far, the degree combined with a few years of real world experience will. Its the sort of school where you can pass by doing the bare minimum yes but it also can be a place to learn if you have a genuine drive to do so.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I have some experience with ITT tech as well and my opinion is the same as williamc. Although the curriculum is not overly technical there are some extremely knowledgeable teachers at the one in my area. The more important thing which no one has mentioned is that ITT is accredited which is really the only thing that matters in a college really. So while just a ITT education may not get you far, the degree combined with a few years of real world experience will. Its the sort of school where you can pass by doing the bare minimum yes but it also can be a place to learn if you have a genuine drive to do so.
    You've hit the nail on the head there, and that's the problems with the commercials they have on TV, which in my opinion makes them look phony. Their commercials lead those of less than an understanding in IT to believe that just by going to their school they'll get a high paying job. I've seen it happening over the past few years with MSCE mills just pulling the people in and pushing them back out again with a worthless piece of paper saying they're an MSCE. Those schools pretty much devalued the entire market as companies started to see that these people didn't really have a clue. Yes there were a certain few that were good, but the overwhelming numbers wouldn't even be good enough to run cable.

To me it seems as though ITT and schools like it are more interested in pulling people in and making money, than really educating them. Do you guys know anyone that actually got a failing grade at ITT, I'm just curious. Anyone that applies themselves at School can obviously learn something, but if you have people taking the classes with no interest in the field other than a high paying job, you're going to get people who's primary focus is not their skills but how well they work the system.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Well said streaker.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Developer

ITT and schools like it are more interested in pulling people in and making money
    This is very true however like people say all the time a degree is really just to get you past the HR dept. and after that you'll have to display some real skill or at least have some experience or IT references. I feel its narrow minded to disqualify someone for a job simply based on where they went to school. Like williamc said some people can only go at night because of family or other obligations. I guess that's why I'm not the boss of a IT company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast