Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to massive wordlist in WPA crack

Junior Member imported_Yottabit's Avatar

Lightbulb Alternative to massive wordlist in WPA crack

would it be possible to have crunch dictgen piped to a fifo pipe file and in an other console the paticular program your using with the fifo pipe as the wordlist.
    as the words come out of the pipe they are removed and so could this be used on an eeepc with no space for any wordlists?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, I've also thought about having a web server that you can upload .cap files to. It could be on a beefy desktop that would deceypt the .cap then send it back to your eepc/handheld. Heck you could even setup something like a distributed computing program and have multiple boxes hitting the same uploaded cap.
    Morpheus: "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "What if I take both?"

Morpheus: "Don't do that! You end up like Nick Nolte!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yottabit View Post
    would it be possible to have crunch dictgen piped to a fifo pipe file and in an other console the paticular program your using with the fifo pipe as the wordlist.
    as the words come out of the pipe they are removed and so could this be used on an eeepc with no space for any wordlists?
    With aircrack-ng this approach should be possible by simply piping the output of crunch directly into aircrack-ng. However, since this approach will be more CPU demanding than a simple dictionary attack, since you will be generating the words and trying them against the handshake at the same time, I would not recommend it with an Eeepc. Additional memory comes cheap nowadays so why not get a large USB stick to store your dictionaries on?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

would it be possible to have crunch dictgen piped to a fifo pipe file and in an other console the particular program your using with the fifo pipe as the wordlist.
    Consider that random key generation against WPA should be a last resort since a dictionary attack would be much more effective. From a theoretical point of view what you suggest is feasible, but not as efficient as a dict-attack.

yes of course but i quite often have the situation where i don't happen to have my wordlist dvd's on my person. so i would like to use this to get me by.
    if a solution to a problem is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

yes of course but i quite often have the situation where i don't happen to have my wordlist dvd's on my person. so i would like to use this to get me by.
    Look, I'm not accussing you of doing anything illegal here. I'm also not trying to be the police. But this statement bugs me.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which I'm doing legal pentesting on a knowing (at some level) target and not having the proper or most effecient tools on hand to accomplish the task.

You were fine up until you stated that you quite often don't have your word lists available to you. That doesn't make sense to me. And, at least in my mind, makes you look shady.

Just FYI...

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    Look, I'm not accussing you of doing anything illegal here. I'm also not trying to be the police. But this statement bugs me.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which I'm doing legal pentesting on a knowing (at some level) target and not having the proper or most effecient tools on hand to accomplish the task.

You were fine up until you stated that you quite often don't have your word lists available to you. That doesn't make sense to me. And, at least in my mind, makes you look shady.

Just FYI...
    i usually leave my wordlist's at home because i get called out to pentest at random. i have my number posted round town for businesses to use. they have to phone up at around 3pm after i have finished collage for the day. so i don't really know which day's i'll need it. oh and this isn't just any old guy in his trailer i work for btw i check the company out before turning up and make sure i have written permission from the owners of the system beforehand. the most common thing i have to do is recovering the wep key after an old techniccian has left.
    if a solution to a problem is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

So, a company hiring you expects you to effectively test their WPA passphrase via uneffective methods? If this is true, you should recalibrate their expectations.

Any company worth their weight would give you ample time to prepare, especially if they've given you written permission before hand. Again, I'm not questioning the legality of your actions, just the way you present yourself. Although, admittedly, I don't believe you. I'd assume that many others have the same suspicion.

Not that any of that matters. Just continue to not break the law and be thoughtful in how you use your words or risk being whacked by the ftard stick Or the clowns, watch out for the clowns

Unless you can simply guess the password based on what you know about the person it would seem like cracking wpa would be an overnight kind of job anyhow. I've had friends of mine setup "in the wild" scenarios where they would create a wpa password and challenge me to crack them. I've always just pulled in grabbed the handshake and gone home to my desktop to crack them. While I've gotten the pw in as little as 15 minutes before it usually takes more like 5-24 hours. The longest took more than 30.
    Morpheus: "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "What if I take both?"

Morpheus: "Don't do that! You end up like Nick Nolte!"

Quote Originally Posted by Revelati View Post
    Unless you can simply guess the password based on what you know about the person it would seem like cracking wpa would be an overnight kind of job anyhow. I've had friends of mine setup "in the wild" scenarios where they would create a wpa password and challenge me to crack them. I've always just pulled in grabbed the handshake and gone home to my desktop to crack them. While I've gotten the pw in as little as 15 minutes before it usually takes more like 5-24 hours. The longest took more than 30.
    That track record is actually impressive. Or your friends are galactically stupid and use passwords like "icanhastehpr0n!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast