Thread: WEP Cracking Help

Just burned his ISO

Default WEP Cracking Help

Hi all. I'm following a tutorial I found on this site, but I'm running into some problems.

When I start aireplay I can associate to the AP without any problems. However on the next step I do not see any ARP requests. So it basically sites there reading packets but not sending any.

Can anyone assist me with this? Thank you.

Just burned his ISO

I would say the best thing to do is go to youtube and run a search. I have found some good step-by-steps that helped out a lot.

You have an atheros based wireless card?!
    Could you post some screenshots?!
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

While this can be bad drivers or something not working properly, I have a feeling it is just a lack of patience.

Aireplay needs to capture certain kinds of packets in order to send out the proper request. It is likely that you are just not getting that packet. I'll bet there are no active clients connected to the WEP. If you let it just sit there and read packets the router will eventually send out what you need on it own unless it was manually told not to. (very unlikely)

Id say give it about 30 minutes, if it doesnt start by then its probably drivers.

Just burned his ISO

Going off of what Revelati said... It could just be that the times you are trying there is no traffic going over the net that is useful to you. So the best bet would be just let it run for while and see what kind of packets you are seeing from a longer time span

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the information. I am running this in a test environment, and I noticed that when I reauthenticated my laptop to the AP, ARP's started flowing in.

I tried it again but with the laptop already authenticated, and didn't get any ARP's. I ran the "force de-authentication" and noticed that helped as well.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Default lol

goose you are either 1 cracking wep witch is why your collecting arp packets or two your are cracking wpa but the fact that your collecting arp ps and doing deauthentication attacks tells me you need to research in a big way
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

Yep it's a WEP network. Like I said it's a test environment, and I have the AP configured with 40-bit WEP.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can in that I'm a noob. Thanks for the info!