Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antenna question (freeantennas)

Default antenna question (freeantennas)

Anyone have any experience with the below antenna mod?:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/

Look credible or just crap? I tried to post this on the stumbler forums but I don't have permission apparently

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the below antenna mod?:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/
    They work well. It may goof up your diversity settings however. It's just something to keep in mind.

Look credible or just crap? I tried to post this on the stumbler forums but I don't have permission apparently
    If you just joined NS, you can't post for about 14 days. If you've gone past that time limit, you might have tried to post in the Antenna FAQ area. FAQ areas are read only. General antenna questions should be posted to the Hardware area.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Thanks Thorn...

I suppose they'd have to be at very similar angles so as to not mess up the diversity between the antennas. I'll have to give it a go. Worse case, I disable one of the antennas.

It must be the 14 day limitation. I actually signed up a while ago but just activated my account today. Oh well.

Thanks Thorn...
    You're welcome.

I suppose they'd have to be at very similar angles so as to not mess up the diversity between the antennas. I'll have to give it a go. Worse case, I disable one of the antennas.
    Exactly. And considering that your whole investment is some thin cardboard and a bit of aluminum foil, it's worth playing with these reflectors.

It must be the 14 day limitation. I actually signed up a while ago but just activated my account today. Oh well.
    That would do it.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

It's just spacial diversity anyway. Your wireless chipset just selects whichever antenna happens to have the higher signal. If this is done properly, it will always select the antenna with the reflector. On the flip side, if it is NOT done properly, then the only risk you run is not being able to connect to the AP (if the other antenna is blocked by your reflector), or your connect speeds will be very low (RE: poor reception at the AP). It would be better to move the antennas away from the AP and applying the reflector to both antennas. Just remember that your AP is going to have to be in the corner of your dwelling so that you can connect from all parts of your house. As you can see from the patterns, the backside footprint of your AP has been drastically reduced, thus reducing its detection by rogue clients - but your frontside footprint has gone way up.

Good points.

However, it will be acting as a drone for my WIDS. I want it to be a little more sensitive in one general direction. Good, cheap solution for that I think.

Just an update:

I've made this antenna mod and it appears to work quite well. I didn't have card stock so I used photo paper and it worked great. Nice mod for free If you want a pic, let me know...

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Just an update:

I've made this antenna mod and it appears to work quite well. I didn't have card stock so I used photo paper and it worked great. Nice mod for free If you want a pic, let me know...
    Curious, what kind of glue did you use for the foil. I know that Elmer's makes some decent spray on glue that would probably work well for this sort of thing. I've used it for a couple of projects here with good success.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Curious, what kind of glue did you use for the foil. I know that Elmer's makes some decent spray on glue that would probably work well for this sort of thing. I've used it for a couple of projects here with good success.
    My wife had a glue stick she uses with her scrapbook stuff Goes on relatively dry, sticky, non-oozy, and dries fast. This would work or something similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Product...3609598&sr=8-1

Slapped some of that on there and used it immediately.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

My wife had a glue stick she uses with her scrapbook stuff Goes on relatively dry, sticky, non-oozy, and dries fast. This would work or something similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Product...3609598&sr=8-1

Slapped some of that on there and used it immediately.
    The nice thing I found with the Elmer's spray on stuff is it doesn't set up right away so you have time to smooth things out. I think total set up time was like 15 minutes, so you have a few minutes to smooth everything out.

Looks like your gluesticks worked good though.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast