Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up a wireless router as a repeater

Default setting up a wireless router as a repeater

I've noticed a few people complaining about weak signals when trying to connect to their 'freinds' router or their own is weak in certain areas and thought i'd share this.

Using a cheap and chearfull wireless router (i used a WRG 54G) but it is also compatible with many more) you can reflash the standard firmware for a more powerfull 3rd party one called dd wrt. amongst other things this allows you to set it up as a wireless repeater

So imagine you can pickup your 'freinds' router if say your laptops in the windows but when you move anywhere else the signal is lost, or you own router signal drops dramaticly in certain parts of the house/garden well using the linksys as a wireless repeater you can extend that signal all over the house giving you full bars again and even add /continue encrytion

NOTE THIS IS FOR THE INTENTION OF UTILISING A NETWORK YOU OWN OR HAVE PERMISSION TO USE

below is the link which covers the 3rd party flash in more detail

xxx.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391[/url]

Note: If you follow the DD WRT link and navigate to the supported hardware you will find a complete list of all supported routers and which Revision

MAKE SURE YOU FIRST USE THIS INFORMATION TO DETERMINE THE CORRECT VERSION TO FLASH YOUR ROUTER WITH. If you do this you can't really go wrong. If you don't you could well end up with a brick. Even if yours is the same model there are different versions !!

Next to setup your router as a repeater once the new firmware is installed following the below guide

(Replace xxx for www as i can't post links)

xxx.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3655041#[/url]

I found the above guides excellent so obviously there is no point me re-writing them as my own etc credit to the authors. If this has been covered already my apoligies i just wanted to share what i thought were excellent straight-forward tutorials for doing this.
    My Blog
    http://hackingmidasgold.blogspot.com
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info

Kindest regards

James

Also, check out OpenWRT if you're new to all of this.....

Default Please Help!

Hi all!

I was wondering if any one would be able to help me out!
    Im interested in setting up one of my router's as a repeater, ive searched the forum and google for days now
    I have two Siemens Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl aswell as a Sky Netgear DG834GT router.
    Does anyone know if its even possible to do this with either of these routers?

Many Thanks!

That is what i found for your netgear:
    http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=316

For the Gigaset i didn't find any intresting in the quick search,
    but you can try the search term: "SE587 + Repeater". That shows a lot.

Hope this will help you,
    greez
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Blimey that was quick, i didnt think i would get a reply that fast!
    Cheers for that mate, Will check it out!

Well i guess that answers my question about the netgear as a repeater :-(
    Hopefully my siemens will work, More searching :-(
    Will report back if i find anything!

Many Thanks

Thanks KingMidas, nice find.

Can anyone out there who uses dd-wrt confirm for me that all versions after v23 SP2 include no-ip dynamic DNS support? I tried checking the dd-wrt changelog but it appears to be incomplete. According to the dd-wrt no-ip client page it is included in v23 SP2, but I can't find any docs saying they've left it in etc.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

linked for the lazy??

Already checked out that site and couldnt find my routers listed there, Thats why i was asking for help!
    But thanks anyway :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast