Thread: BackTrack3 on the HP Compaq Presario CQ50 110EM

Default BackTrack3 on the HP Compaq Presario CQ50 110EM

hello there

I bought myself the aforementioned laptop the other day. Got home took it out the box and tried to install BackTrack intending to then install Ubuntu so my laptop would mimic my desktops triple boot.

I put in the backtrack cd and it started to load fine but then it gotto where its looking for the data files and says it cant find them and give me a fatal error. It says a fix is to copy the files to your c drive and reboot. Which i did to no avail.

So i thought i would try to install Ubuntu. I put the cd in and everything goes fine. The installer loads. You get through all the options fine. Then it starts to install. but it gets to between 30-40% and then gives an error message saying its impossible to read/write and this could be caused by a damaged or dirty cd( which its not, and yes i did the checksum for this and BT and everything was cool) or that the harrdrive is damaged. But thats brand new and windows runs on it fine.

so after failing with the two flavours i actually wanted on my laptop i tried others. Gentoo, Debian, Wifislax and Knoppix. All of which failed at some point.

then i decided to see if backtrack would boot from a pen drive. It turns out it will. the only thing is once booted it doesn't recognize either my harddrive or my DVD drive. How cant this be? I am assuming this is what is causing the problems but have no idea how to solve it. Any help would be great.
    "At least black people knew when they where slaves" Doug stanhope

Quote Originally Posted by m1cha3l View Post
    But thats brand new and windows runs on it fine.
    Even a new hdd can be broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by m1cha3l View Post
    then i decided to see if backtrack would boot from a pen drive. It turns out it will. the only thing is once booted it doesn't recognize either my harddrive or my DVD drive. How cant this be? I am assuming this is what is causing the problems but have no idea how to solve it. Any help would be great.
    Hm, you can try to update the onboard chipset.
    But in my opinion it sounds like a sector failure of the hdd, or a fault in the mainboard.
    (don't know if thats the correct description in english)

If u have the possibility i would recommend to try another hdd.
    (maybe extern, but how i think that should work, because the error is intern)
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Thank you for the reply but i think you missed my point

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Even a new hdd can be broken.
    But windows is installed fine in the same physical position i was trying to install linux! And i have filled over half the drive and had no problems.

I think the problem has somthing to do with the sata drivers. As it's not just the HDD that isn't recognized it's the DVD drive too. I have had chance to do a little research when i got home tonight and found this page.

I intend to look into it more tomorrow if i get time.

will post what i find out.
    "At least black people knew when they where slaves" Doug stanhope

i have the same problem with my god damn sata hard drive
    Knowledge is Power