Thread: alfa awus036h help!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default alfa awus036h help!!!

ok so i have ubuntu 9.10 on a lenovo s10.. i had my alfa awus036h and it worked fine no issues. except for having to reconnect every hour or so. anyway i got back track 4 final and installed it on usb with unetbootin. i started to use wicd and etter cap on it. and i made sure to turn off wicd when i was done then i went back into ubuntu (i didnt install bt) and i started to have problems like everyone else. slow connections ,disconnects after 1 min, and can still connect to networks but cant surf. please help!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: alfa awus036h help!!!

Speaking only for myself I think Wicd is a load of horsepoop. Maybe it is something to do with that particular model of Alfa (I own it too) but it never works right for me. If I tell it to connect to network X it connects to network Y. It only discovers 1/2 the networks I can get in Windows 7, and it is slow as ice on any connection that is not at 100% line quality.

So the fact that you have problem with Wicd and Alfa is not surprising. And don't even bother going over to the Wicd forums because the developers are in denial that there is any problem whatsoever.

I guess what I am trying to say is I honestly don't think this is a BT4 problem. I think it's a Wicd problem. Or maybe it's a driver problem. Hell, I don't know; I'm not an expert on how all these intertwine. What can I say.

Welcome to the club????

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    Speaking only for myself I think Wicd is a load of horsepoop. Maybe it is something to do with that particular model of Alfa (I own it too) but it never works right for me. If I tell it to connect to network X it connects to network Y. It only discovers 1/2 the networks I can get in Windows 7, and it is slow as ice on any connection that is not at 100% line quality.

So the fact that you have problem with Wicd and Alfa is not surprising. And don't even bother going over to the Wicd forums because the developers are in denial that there is any problem whatsoever.

I guess what I am trying to say is I honestly don't think this is a BT4 problem. I think it's a Wicd problem. Or maybe it's a driver problem. Hell, I don't know; I'm not an expert on how all these intertwine. What can I say.

Welcome to the club????
    sure lol... what are the allternitives to wicd?.. and the interesting part is tht it was all good untii i started using backtrack.so really i should maybe try a alternitive to wicd and reinstall ubuntu.

Hi I have alfa AWUS036H 1000mw and I have no problems with it. I mainly use alfa for wireless hacking and laptops inbuild for wireless connections. But I have also used alfa for wireless connections and it works perfectly.
    Last edited by halfdone; 03-28-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Just burned his ISO

i have the same issues with wicd and the same wireless card has to be moreof us with the same problem seems like it would getfixed on wicd's end