Compaq nx6115 with Bcm4318
I'm Enrique from Argentina
I've registered in the forum to ask a dumb question.
Yes, I've read wikis, forum posts, other websites, etc. until I decided to post here
I've discovered (with my GF's notebook) there's a wifi connection (protected) near my apt. It is an oldie compaq nx6115, which has a Broadcom 802.11b/g Wlan adapter with the BCM4318 chipset.
I've an old BT liveCD, but didn't work. All wireless software I run gave me errors about wireless adapter not found.
However, I've read that getting and using BT3 should go fine with this chipset, right? I'm getting/burning it anyway
My questions are:
1. Will I need to patch the kernel, recompile drivers, and do complicated stuff with the chipset/config I have in this notebook?
2. Is there any wiki, url, post or tut so I know the commands (for the wireless nic) I should type once BT3 has booted?
3. How do I know (using BT3) if the wlan is protected with wpa or wep? and which sw to use in each case?
4. As I'm a very newbie linux user, I guess I'll need a dictionary for "asking" the passphrase to the air, right? If so, is there any tuto about how to build a spanish dictionary, where to get and save it, etc.?
5. my Desktop PC doesn't have wifi, so which one of these nics would you buy for best performance, tweaking, overclocking , etc.?
wireless DOT mercadolibre DOT com DOT ar/placas-red-usb/_OrderId_BIDS_ItemTypeID_N
Thanks a lot in advance,
Hope your help...
PS: linuxwireless.org states that Linux 2.6.26 removes the bcm43xx driver, right? but BT3 isn't updated to 2.6.26, right?
We do not condone hacking your next door neighbour. Regardless the distance.
Originally Posted by kabeza
We don't support stealing your neighbors wifi.