Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with my new alfa nic

Just burned his ISO

Default problem with my new alfa nic

Hi.

First of all...i am a newbie with both Back Track and Linux. I have just bought a Alfa NIC after a guy at a store recommend it. It of course works great in Vista, but it seems not to work in Back Track 3 final.

As I was told it would work like a charm, and I also know that this Alfa NIC is supported in BT3.

I am running iwconfig but it doesn't seem to find it. The NIC's model is AWUS036H (the powerful one).

Can anyone please help me? And I hope that this is the right section to post in...

-Tommy

Hi Tommy,
    what Version of BT3 are u running?
    Posts of your iwconfig , ifconfig would help us to solve your prob.

greez
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your answer,

Ehh...I am not totally sure about the version, but I am pretty sure it was Back Track 3 Final. I downloaded it from the main download page at remote-exploit.org

Here are the screenshots you wanted, and I have enclosed the Kismet error message also.

IWCONFIG

lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 802.11b/g Mode:Managed Channel=7
    Access Point: Not-Associated Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=5 dBm
    Retryn Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality=3/100 Signal level=-192 dBm Noise level=-159 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Tx-Power:17 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
    Retryff RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=0/70 Signal level=-96 dBm Noise level=-96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

So from here it looks like wlan0 is working, but from my point of view it doesn't.

IFCONFIG

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

KISMET INFO

Launching kismet_server: /usr/local/bin/kismet_server
    Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
    No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
    Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
    Enabling channel hopping.
    Enabling channel splitting.
    NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to change channel.
    Source 0 (addme): Opening none source interface none...
    FATAL: Please configure at least one packet source. Kismet will not function if no packet sources are defined in kismet.conf or on the command line. Please read the README for more information about configuring Kismet.
    Kismet exiting.
    Done.

Maybe I should take a look into kismet.conf

Well I hope that someone here can give me an answer.

Thanks in advance

-Tommy

Hey tommy,
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrueland View Post
    Ehh...I am not totally sure about the version, but I am pretty sure it was Back Track 3 Final. I downloaded it from the main download page at remote-exploit.org
    Yeah i supposed u use bt3f , my question was about if its the life cd, vmware, or usb.
    But for now, that doesn't care.

So from here it looks like wlan0 is working, but from my point of view it doesn't.
    What do you mean? The wlan0 interface is running, so whats your problem?
    Connect to your network and you will see if its working.

For kismet , you have to do some configuration.
    Search for it here on the forums, there are some good threads about it.
    Hint: You have to do something like that in the cfg:
    Code:
    source=ipw3945,wlan0,ipw3945
    But make sure you are using your drivers.

greez
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

As terminal86 is pointing out, there seems to be no reason to assume that your card isn't working. The source you will need to specify in kismet.conf in order for kismet to work is the following:
    Code:
    source=rt8180,wlan0,ALFA
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

I was wondering if someone could post a tutorial for the AWUS036H, it seems like a bunch of people are usig this card with BT3 but it is hard to get up and running. Its not like the built in Atherous card that worked out of the box.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Thanks both terminal86 and =Tron=,

I use the live cd. It also looked to me that the network card has started/is working, but it was the kismet info that made me unsure. But thanks a lot for the info about the configuration of the kismet.conf...I really preciate it. I will check it out later, and thanks again

-Tommy

Just burned his ISO

I got it working!! Thanks all...

But I have a couple of questions...Where I am sitting now there are three wireless networks. My own which use WEP, my first neighbour that use WPA2 and the third is my other neighbour that has as open network.

I know it is impossible to attach the WPA network, and the open network is of course attackable. But my own network...I have not connect to it now, and I am using kismet to check them out. How long does it take until kismet finds the essid to a WEP network? All I got until now is the router ip to the open network, and nothing else...and kismet has run now for about 25 minutes

Thanks in advance

-Tommy

I got it working!! Thanks all...
    Nice to hear that. Graz

I know it is impossible to attach the WPA network, and the open network is of course attackable.
    In fact, it is not! But it is illegal to connect to someones else AP without his permission!!

How long does it take until kismet finds the essid to a WEP network?
    All I got until now is the router ip to the open network, and nothing else...and kismet has run now for about 25 minutes
    Well, if the SSID is not hidden, it should be shown as soon as you see the ap.

In fact the SSID is hidden:

Quote from another Thread:
    Associating a client with AP will tell hidden ESSID in both airodump-ng & kismet window.some other tools you can use like mdk3.mdk3 will match the response it get from the AP(typically hidden ESSID will tell the ESSID length)and mdk3 matches the ESSID wordlist with the response thus brute forcing the hidden essid. nd also using wireshak,when a client is associating with AP then also you can get hidden essid.
    So how can I retrieve my ESSID with no connected or connecting client?
    You can't.

Quote Originally Posted by stacksmasher View Post
    I was wondering if someone could post a tutorial for the AWUS036H, it seems like a bunch of people are usig this card with BT3 but it is hard to get up and running. Its not like the built in Atherous card that worked out of the box.

Thanks
    Well actually it is exactly the same, as it will work just fine out of the box in BT3F without any additional configuration.

How long does it take until kismet finds the essid to a WEP network? All I got until now is the router ip to the open network, and nothing else...and kismet has run now for about 25 minutes
    It will not be found by kismet until another client connects to the AP wirelessly using the correct ESSID. Another approach would be to bruteforce the ESSID using MDK3, but this normally a very time consuming approach.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast