Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to save simple things to usb?

Just burned his ISO

Arrow how to save simple things to usb?

Hi all i cannot find a good simple tut that will show me how to save simple things like desktop background? new drivers? etc etc is there a real simple way?
    i boot into bt3 and change the background to just as i need it and when i reboot its gone back again.
    sorry if this is such a dumb question but i could do with knowing as ill be moving on to wpa and the drivers will need to be re-installed over and over again . thanks guys
    HyBrIdUnO

yes there is and you will find it here http://forums.remote-exploit.org/search.php
    search for Changes or Save Changes

Post Another thread

Here is another thread about it. I get that question a lot at work. So I made a little script to simplify it for them.

forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?p=97736#post97736

Just burned his ISO

Talking save changes..the wiki's way.

if your like me you don't like it when people tell you to go somewhare else for help or give you a page to look at as a answer because other servers crash and pages get deleted over time. so i like to do the simple copy past and quote..

Save configuration to USB stick

After having produced the personalization, open the console and digit dir2lzm /mnt/live/memory/changes changes.lzm (changes.lzm or pippo.lzm ...) changes.lzm you have in root folder, paste in USB modules folder (BT/modules). Reboot you have saved setting up. -bzImage

There is an issue after you save to changes.lzm and boot from the module then make new changes and try to save them because you only get the new changes and not the previous. Then create new changes and have to save them. Seems you have to copy /mnt/live/memory/changes to a tmp dir then merge /mnt/live/memory/images/changes.lzm/ onto the tmp dir. Then turn that into a new module to load. -Kinchyle

If you make a subsequent change, you can just save the new change.lzm file in the /BT/modules folder using a different name: ie change1.lzm and change2.lzm and then a subsequent file called change3.lzm all without merging them. -Milon
    got it from: the backtrack wiki
    @ wiki.remoteexploit.org

help it helps bye!

Quote Originally Posted by pcstalljr View Post
    if your like me you don't like it when people tell you to go somewhare else for help or give you a page to look at as a answer because other servers crash and pages get deleted over time. so i like to do the simple copy past and quote..

got it from: the backtrack wiki
    @ wiki.remoteexploit.org

help it helps bye!
    There are several good reasons to tell others to 'search' or 'go to ________ address .'

First, people like you encourage the lazy masses to keep asking the same questions over and over. Such repetition discourages those who have knowledge from contributing as it only adds to the burnout of answering the same questions time after time.

Secondly, it keeps the information consistent. If you have 15 threads all on the same subject, and all have quoted, or worse, inconsistently reinterpreted a given set of instructions, then the information is out of sync over time. Point to one source that is updated as needed keeps the knowledge consistent even as the specific datum change.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    There are several good reasons to tell others to 'search' or 'go to ________ address .'

First, people like you encourage the lazy masses to keep asking the same questions over and over. Such repetition discourages those who have knowledge from contributing as it only adds to the burnout of answering the same questions time after time.

Secondly, it keeps the information consistent. If you have 15 threads all on the same subject, and all have quoted, or worse, inconsistently reinterpreted a given set of instructions, then the information is out of sync over time. Point to one source that is updated as needed keeps the knowledge consistent even as the specific datum change.
    Some might argue that not giving them a straight answer might encourage them to ask the question again. Hoping that someone will post a straight answer.

Both pose a small problem and I'm not going to say you're incorrect on this issue because there is no right answer. I was just saying that there's more than one method.

I had previously searched the wiki for this issue and came up with nothing. I relooked today when I knew for certain it was there and found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidictadpole View Post
    Some might argue that not giving them a straight answer might encourage them to ask the question again. Hoping that someone will post a straight answer.
    Based on my experience on a number of forums over the years -including being a mod and an admin- it just encourages them to be lazy. I certainly understand that people like pcstalljr are trying to be helpful, but it my opinion, based on close to a decade of being on fora, it is simply shortsighted and misguided.

Both pose a small problem and I'm not going to say you're incorrect on this issue because there is no right answer. I was just saying that there's more than one method.
    Yeah, there is more than one method, but from my standpoint it's a big problem.

The method, however, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The path of giving a straight answer, no matter how many times that question has been repeated, is fine for those boards devoted to people new to both computers and Internet fora. It is a lot less scary for the users, but (and this is the critical part) it teaches them nothing beyond the one question they asked about. It also requires senior people with the patience and understanding of a kindergarten teacher, because essentially, that's what it amounts to, the Internet version of kindergarten.

On a regular technical forum (i.e. not devoted exclusively to new users of the subject at hand) such behavior will quickly discourage about 99% of the knowledgeable users from contributing, as the don't have the patience, and don't want to teach kindergarten. What they do want is to be challenged in both the answer and the question, and they will quickly learn to ignore or flame the new users who ask those same questions. When new users' behavior of not researching before asking questions isn't corrected by the forum administration the knowledgeable users will leave. Once a board's knowledgeable people leave, it's the end of the board.

I had previously searched the wiki for this issue and came up with nothing. I relooked today when I knew for certain it was there and found it.
    That indicates that you haven't yet sharpened your search skills, or you're framing the searches the wrong way, by not using the correct terms.

This thread started with the question about saving things on a USB drive. If a user doesn't know that under B|T3 the word "changes" is the term generally associated with permanently committing adaptations to the BT settings, then they might be more inclined to look for things like "profiles" or "settings". Apollopimp's answer was perfect as it told the original poster what terms to search under and encouraged him to go to the search page.

Asking questions about how to do the searches will generally get a new user more help, as it shows that they want to learn the subject, and not be spoonfed all the answers.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

Point to one source that is updated as needed keeps the knowledge consistent even as the specific datum change.
    that right there is my main problem. in more cases than i can remember the source was deleted or lost in some way. so all those links were simply useless spending hours and hours looking for the answer to a very simple question. for example. i am correctly making a script to auto save using an aliased command. now i spent 4 hours looking for sh help and they all pointed me to old broken links.

it teaches them nothing beyond the one question they asked about
    ...have you ever realy looked for "changes" in this BT forum? you search "changes" you get nothing, "usb changes" nothing "save configuration" you get many things. very few have anything to do on this subject. and even if you look for "save changes" you get many things. and one post, THIS one. that has anything to do with this other than doing over complicated installs to usb and persistant changes that update ever 15 minutes...now if you have a better way to seach, please, let me know. so i dont have to seach for some silly thing like my script wasnt working because i added a "!" by accident.

that right there is my main problem. in more cases than i can remember the source was deleted or lost in some way. so all those links were simply useless spending hours and hours looking for the answer to a very simple question. for example. i am correctly making a script to auto save using an aliased command. now i spent 4 hours looking for sh help and they all pointed me to old broken links.
    That indicates a problem with the way you are conducting your searches or the terms being used. For example, you mention "sh help". There isn't an "sh" per se. There is the Bourne shell (and some derived shells such as Bash), that is often referred to as "sh". A quick Google search of "Bourne file alias" gives 44,100 hits. Quickly looking through those results shows a number of commands summaries and tutorials on using aliases (including why you may want to do aliasing in the Korn shell, rather than Bourne.)

...have you ever realy looked for "changes" in this BT forum? you search "changes" you get nothing, "usb changes" nothing "save configuration" you get many things. very few have anything to do on this subject. and even if you look for "save changes" you get many things. and one post, THIS one. that has anything to do with this other than doing over complicated installs to usb and persistant changes that update ever 15 minutes...now if you have a better way to seach, please, let me know. so i dont have to seach for some silly thing like my script wasnt working because i added a "!" by accident.
    Yes, I have. Again, you need to know how to the use correct terms.

As far as your script goes, your example of the "!" isn't silly. That's how programming syntax works.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

That indicates a problem with the way you are conducting your searches or the terms being used. For example, you mention "sh help". There isn't an "sh" per se. There is the Bourne shell (and some derived shells such as Bash), that is often referred to as "sh". A quick Google search of "Bourne file alias" gives 44,100 hits. Quickly looking through those results shows a number of commands summaries and tutorials on using aliases (including why you may want to do aliasing in the Korn shell, rather than Bourne.)
    well i needed to look for one spesific thing. i added a "!" in my if script and reversed it. but rather than posting many many off topic posts i will simply say thank you, you seem to have a nice grasp of how things work here and clearly more knowledgeable than i am. so i shall stop arguing and find some people that i can help correctly. and maybe i can come across someone that can help me with my rfcomm error but thank you again and ill see you on more posts

ps.
    As far as your script goes, your example of the "!" isn't silly. That's how programming syntax works.
    i meant that it was silly that, that one thing was causing my script to fail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast