Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lilo Config,QT parted...PROBLEMS!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Angry Lilo Config,QT parted...PROBLEMS!!!!

Ok so last week I made a new user name, and password for BT3 without reading the official BT3 Wiki.So I screwed myself, and ended up having to do a fresh install.So I have been at it for the past couple of hours now, and can't figure out what the hell is going on?I have two problems.....

1.) QT Parted comes up with this message before opening "Warning: Unable to open /dev/hdc read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/hdc has been opened read-only." It still opens, and runs fine (as far as I know) but when I installed BT3 the first time I don't remember that ever happening.

2.)Lilo Config....Here is what my config file looks like.

# LILO configuration file
    # generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    lba32
    boot = /dev/sda4
    #message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    prompt
    timeout = 1200
    change-rules
    reset
    # vga =791
    # vga=769
    # End LILO global section
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda4
    label = Linux
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

#windows bootable partition config begins
    # other = /dev/sda
    # label = WindowsXP
    # table = /dev/sda
    #windows bootable partition config ends

....Now when I when I save it, and try running lilo -v I get this error message (Reading boot sector from /dev/sda4
    Warning: Partition 4 on /dev/sda is not marked Active.
    Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system)<-------Did qtparted affect that because it would only open in read only??

I'm following the video tutorial on the Offensive Security website, and the transcripts of the movie.

Can anyone help me out with these problems?

Note: I am using only one partition (SDA4).I did that the first time, and it worked fine so I don't think thats an issue.

Developer

Are you chrooted when you run lilo?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Are you chrooted when you run lilo?
    Unless I'm mistaken I do believe so.When I typed in this command (chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash) I believe I became "chrooted"

Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system)
    check that your kernal "vmlinuz" is in /boot/

# LILO configuration file
    # generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    lba32
    boot = /dev/sda4
    #message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    prompt
    timeout = 1200
    change-rules
    reset
    # vga =791
    # vga=769
    # End LILO global section
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda4
    label = Linux
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

#windows bootable partition config begins
    # other = /dev/sda
    # label = WindowsXP
    # table = /dev/sda
    #windows bootable partition config ends
    Is your windows partion on sda? I would think it is on antoher partition
    and you dont want your boot line from sda4, it should be sda, i think

Calypso

Developer

Make lilo look like this. (I'm assuming windows is on sda1) Unless you had windows commented out for a reason.

lba32
    boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 1200
    change-rules
    reset
    vga =791
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda4
    label = Linux
    read-only
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = WindowsXP
    table = /dev/sda

Quote Originally Posted by ReVamPeD03 View Post
    ....Now when I when I save it, and try running lilo -v I get this error message (Reading boot sector from /dev/sda4
    Warning: Partition 4 on /dev/sda is not marked Active.
    Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system)<-------Did qtparted affect that because it would only open in read only?? ....
    There is an option within qtparted to set flags on each partition (active, primary, etc). I believe if you set the active flag on sda4 that will take care of that issue....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

OK everyone I'm gonna try everything you all suggested now while I'm on my lunch break.I'll be back shortly hopefully with good news!

About 15 minutes later......

Ok I'm about to reboot.Wish me luck!

IT WORKED!!!! Thank you everyone for helping me out with this.....

Pureh@te you had the correct lilo configurations, and you were very rite in assuming that Windows was in SDA1.

Calypso thank you for telling me to double check to see if the kernal "vmlinuz" is in /boot/ because it wasn't.

Again thank you everybody for the help.Now I can continue my studies with BT3....This forum, and the people in it are Amazing.Even with us newbies that tend to always get stuck on the same damn thing, and ask the same damn question.

Just one question though...Does anyone know why qtparted only opened up in read only???I don't recall that happening in my first install of BT3.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVamPeD03 View Post
    Just one question though...Does anyone know why qtparted only opened up in read only???I don't recall that happening in my first install of BT3.
    im not really sure what read only means, have you unmounted all partitions

Code:
    umount /dev/sda*
    does it have a little triangle error sign next to your windows partition and when you click on it says you have one or more bad sectors??

I ran into this problem during my first dual boot of BT3 and XP. I searched and searched forums here and there, tried different lilo and grub configs. I was sure I had my config files right. Then I remembered a post I read somewhere about installing a dual boot with Knoppix a couple of years ago. It said something about making sure the Linux partition is "unformatted", not just deleted or unallocated (from Windows) or you might run into problems. So I booted back into Windows, deleted the partition, ran Part Magic 8, once I deleted the partition, I formatted with the option of "Unformatted" under the type, and whammo! That "Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system)" error vanished.

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy

Ok everyone sorry for not replying for the past couple of days but there was a family emergency.... In response to calypso last post.QT parted opens up with the following message "Warning: Unable to open /dev/hdc read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/hdc has been opened read-only".I was curious to see if anyone knew why it opened up like that.Again it still ran fine but I was just curious.

Next problem...I now can't open up Windows Vista.When booting into Vista it comes up with the windows xp boot screen, and then an error message pops up and says "failed to get partition drive letter. I thought it was because my partitions weren't mounted.So I type in "mount" and none of my partitions show up.All that comes up is...

"aufs on / type aufs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)"

To try and correct this I try mounting my partitions with the fallowing command "mount /dev/sda1" (sda1-sda5), and I get....

"mount: mount point /mnt/sda1 does not exist".

I'm not sure if I'm typing in the command wrong, or what so if someone could please shed some light on this it would be awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast