Thread: Problem with LiLo

Default Problem with LiLo

Good Morning !

This time i m realy unable to solve the Problem .. i already searched for help in google but no topics helped me.

The Situation:

I got 3 harddisk's. 2 of them are IDE hdd's and connected to the Primary IDE Socket of my Mainboard. One of this hdd's is my Windows XP and is jumped as master, the second IDE one hdd is my backup drive and jumped as Slave.
    The third hdd is connected to the second SATA socket of my Mainboard. It is jumped as Master. I installed with BT3 Final Installer BT3 on the 3th SATA hdd and LiLo is installed on it too.

To see the LiLo boot loader, i set in my BIOS the SATA Hdd(BT3) at first, my Windows hdd as second and the Back Up hdd at third.
    This seems to work, i can see LiLo boot loader and can boot BT3.

To activate dual boot i tried this:
    lilo.conf
    #Windows Boot possibility:
    other = /dev/sdb
    label = Win_XP

I saved the file and run: #lilo -v.
    I just select sdb because in Konquerer my Windows HDD is called sdb1.

When i boot my PC, i can see Win_XP in LiLo but when i select it i get this error: Error while loading OS.

I only can access to Windows when i go in BIOS and set the Windows HDD at first but this isn't so nice and comfortable.

THank you very much.

maybe I misread, I see you tried to edit the conf for lilo, but have you tried:

Code:
    liloconfig
    and run the setup there? Not sure how it will work out for you, there is an option to add lilo to the mbr. Remember, SATA will always be seen as device 1

Hey ghost40, i just run liloconfig and waited a bit..

i looked to the lilo.conf and lilo automaticly added Windows but i can't load windows.. when i select it in lilo i just see: Loading Windows and nothing happens. Hmm...

thx anyways

post your lilo.conf page in [code] tags

Developer

I belive you would have to install lilo to the drive with windows on it and then point it at the other drive to load bt3. This is the sort of thing that experienced linux user could do and is one of the reasons bt3 is not for beginners and is not recommended to install to hard disk. If I were you I would run bt3 of usb,cd or in vmware like your supposed to.

I believe what's happening is that since lilo isn't installed to the drive windows is on, the mbr isn't recognizing your boot options. Kind of like a situation where the lilo and windows boot loaders cross their streams, and the world implodes....

Set the windows drive to be Active and Primary and write lilo to it's mbr. Make sure that you point lilo to the correct drives when editiing the config, and we'll see what happens from there.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Set the windows drive to be Active and Primary and write lilo to it's mbr. Make sure that you point lilo to the correct drives when editiing the config, and we'll see what happens from there.
    You mean i have to set window drive in BIOS as first drive ? Ok this is not a problem but how i write lilo to it's mbr ?