Thread: Backtrack USB backups and recoveries

Default Backtrack USB backups and recoveries

The computer I'm running backtrack 3 on gives me some trouble like overheating or failing to shutdown properly. It's becoming a fairly regular occurrence for something to get corrupted and having to re-do the entire USB. This used to be easy, but now I'm doing all the fast-track updates and configuring/using new tools so it's getting to be a pain. Is there an easy way to backup the entire USB? What are some viable options? Can I just tar ball the whole changes directory, reinstall the bt USB and then re-write the changes dir or won't that work? Any help appreciated-

-eX

Use dir2lzm or right click on your changes folder and select "Build Slax Module" to make a lzm of your changes folder, move the newly created lzm into your bt3/modules folder, run make_iso.sh. The created iso will contain all your updates and changes.
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

Default How to start from scratch w/ new iso

Thanks, that's very helpful. Could I trouble you to write out quick instructions for doing a ground up/from-as-scratch-as-possible rebuild of my bt3 usb drive using this newly made ISO image? Thanks-

-eX

Quote Originally Posted by exiztential View Post
    Thanks, that's very helpful. Could I trouble you to write out quick instructions for doing a ground up/from-as-scratch-as-possible rebuild of my bt3 usb drive using this newly made ISO image? Thanks-

-eX
    The created iso is similar to the original one you downloaded from remote-exploit.org and can be installed on a usb or burned to cd\dvd the same way. There are numerous tutorials for this already posted on this forum.
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -

I finally got around to taking a shot at this, and I have a question because I'm not sure I did it right. I did the dir2lzm to create a module, but I moved it to the /mnt/sdc1/bt3/modules directory instead of the /mnt/sdc1/boot directory as I think you directed. Then I ran the make_iso.sh script and for better or worse it created an iso.

I'm going to go back and do it again exactly as you directed so I'll have 2 iso files. I could use you help in determining then which of these iso files would be the one to use.

Thanks for your help-

-eX

You are correct in moving the newly created lzm to the bt3/modules directory, I mistyped. The previous post has been fixed.
    - - - - - - - -