Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets tell a tale of exploit horror mwhahaha!!

Default Lets tell a tale of exploit horror mwhahaha!!

Ok so I know this doesn't seem to be very backtrack based but, How many of you hav been infected with a major virus and had to find out new was to protect your computer?

Well from my reakoning I'd say almost every one. I've just suffered a trojan gen virus and have spent almost a week battling with it. (diddnt want to reinstall os).

so heres my explaination why im posting this.

Ok so lots of us have had viruses rite? RITE!

so who puts them there? well its people like us. regular people regular jobs but with sinister motive.

as a noob i have no understanding of how the programmes from backtrack or any other system can allow such people to enter and screw up out hard earned computers.

so lets see if we can get a bit of backdoor background for our noobs. like me

my stroy begins on a dark night when there was nothing to do. so i decided hmmm monopoly. well i downloaded it and installed. then it happened my computer informed me of a trojan gen and a rootkit. i opened mcafee av and found that this trojan had disabled my antivirus, task manager, automatic updates and even my registry was locked.

i have just spent a week battling with it. i have installed and tried to use

spyware doctor
    norton av 2008
    spybot
    uniblue spyware remover
    stopzilla
    panda antivirus
    panda anti rootkit
    avast antivirus
    lavasoft aries rootkit remover
    adaware 2008
    symantec antivirus (used by local school)
    and a trojan remover.

well none of these worked

some detected and some never. the problem was. the ones that did wouldnt remove. i had limited internet access and couldnt visit any forums for fear of having personal data stolen.

what a headache eh?

i finally found avira rootkit detector. this found all the files from the attack and allowed me to attempt manuall removal.

which also by the way had absolutley no effect. the files were all locked and the few i did manage to manually remove reinstalled at start up.

i was loosing hope. i scanned with avira again and whilst it was running i browsed the prog. finally i found the answer avira antivir personal supposedly removed the files detected by avira rootkit detector.

downloaded and installed avira antiviv personal spent over an hour scanning.
    as the prog progressed it found more and more files. the files that none of the above others would.

finally after the drawn out scan and a reeboot it had gone.

the point which i ma wanting to make with this tale of terror is this.

out of all us noobs here at backtrack and other similar forums how many of us are just here to self educate and just learn for ourselves or a new career? Well id say probably not all of us.

the ones who arent are the ones who cause these problems for us genuinly interested in pentesting for a personal gain not for a criminal one.

i have not seen any where on here yet that explaines how to not get hacked. we all talk about how to hack and pentest. but how ften have you come accross a post that gives you ideas of how not to be bum buggered by what we are here to learn...

lets enlighten one another to how we learned more about things (THE HARD WAY!) i learned a lot of things by this experience which allowed me to undersand more about remote exploitation and just how dangerouse this can be in the wrong fingertips.
    I'm smart because I think smart and I think smart because I dress smart thats why I LIKE ME !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blulite View Post
    out of all us noobs here at backtrack and other similar forums how many of us are just here to self educate and just learn for ourselves or a new career? Well id say probably not all of us.

the ones who arent are the ones who cause these problems for us genuinly interested in pentesting for a personal gain not for a criminal one.

i have not seen any where on here yet that explaines how to not get hacked. we all talk about how to hack and pentest. but how ften have you come accross a post that gives you ideas of how not to be bum buggered by what we are here to learn...
    It is no secret that many people have come here seeking help not out of personal interest but wanting to perform illegal acts perhaps in the hope of some sort of personal gain. These people also have their own section of the forum, where they tend to end up pretty fast regardless if they want to or not.

As for there not being many threads dedicated to protecting ourself against attack, pretty much every single post could be interpreted in this way. By understanding how an exploit, a trojan or WEP/WPA cracking works we can learn how to protect ourself against these as well. Since BackTrack is a collection of penetration testing tools it is rather understandable that most threads are biased towards penetrating.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blulite View Post
    Ok so I know this doesn't seem to be very backtrack based but, How many of you hav been infected with a major virus and had to find out new was to protect your computer?

Well from my reakoning I'd say almost every one. I've just suffered a trojan gen virus and have spent almost a week battling with it. (diddnt want to reinstall os).

so heres my explaination why im posting this.

Ok so lots of us have had viruses rite? RITE!

so who puts them there? well its people like us. regular people regular jobs but with sinister motive.

as a noob i have no understanding of how the programmes from backtrack or any other system can allow such people to enter and screw up out hard earned computers.

so lets see if we can get a bit of backdoor background for our noobs. like me

my stroy begins on a dark night when there was nothing to do. so i decided hmmm monopoly. well i downloaded it and installed. then it happened my computer informed me of a trojan gen and a rootkit. i opened mcafee av and found that this trojan had disabled my antivirus, task manager, automatic updates and even my registry was locked.

i have just spent a week battling with it. i have installed and tried to use

spyware doctor
    norton av 2008
    spybot
    uniblue spyware remover
    stopzilla
    panda antivirus
    panda anti rootkit
    avast antivirus
    lavasoft aries rootkit remover
    adaware 2008
    symantec antivirus (used by local school)
    and a trojan remover.

well none of these worked

some detected and some never. the problem was. the ones that did wouldnt remove. i had limited internet access and couldnt visit any forums for fear of having personal data stolen.

what a headache eh?

i finally found avira rootkit detector. this found all the files from the attack and allowed me to attempt manuall removal.

which also by the way had absolutley no effect. the files were all locked and the few i did manage to manually remove reinstalled at start up.

i was loosing hope. i scanned with avira again and whilst it was running i browsed the prog. finally i found the answer avira antivir personal supposedly removed the files detected by avira rootkit detector.

downloaded and installed avira antiviv personal spent over an hour scanning.
    as the prog progressed it found more and more files. the files that none of the above others would.

finally after the drawn out scan and a reeboot it had gone.

the point which i ma wanting to make with this tale of terror is this.

lets enlighten one another to how we learned more about things (THE HARD WAY!) i learned a lot of things by this experience which allowed me to undersand more about remote exploitation and just how dangerouse this can be in the wrong fingertips.
    Probably you are on backtrack forum,not on winblows forum.concentrate youself on backtrack 3 not on winblows here.microsoft ships winblows with virus that is why its call Virus-Friendly and people have started to moving to open-source community after being penetrated by winblows and yes security comes after being knowledgeable.attack on yourself to defend others means first try to penetrate your own system and network then only you can go further and can take a assignment of VT/PT for a particular client again your personal expr. and skills comes handy here.skills means not to use the ready-built tools rather to minimize the use of tools.

I have stopped using windows because many viruses affect Windows systems but there are also viruses for linux but I have never experienced any so far. I think!

But that is not the main reason. Open source appeals me very much and I believe in that!

P.S I still consider myself a newbie at Linux. I began using it systematically at the university because it is the standard in Sweden!

Happy learning, liked your post.

Just curious where did you download the monopoly game you talk about at?

Quote Originally Posted by Notlist3d View Post
    Just curious where did you download the monopoly game you talk about at?
    Most likely not from a legit source if it came with the bonus that the OP describes .

Just burned his ISO

Default (didnt want to reinstall os)

You do know that you can reinstall a copy of windows over the old copy without losing any data?

Quote Originally Posted by donjuanzx9 View Post
    You do know that you can reinstall a copy of windows over the old copy without losing any data?
    And using this method most likely not get rid of the virus either.

Just burned his ISO

Yes but it will allow you to use programs to do a scan when things are locked if only temporarily long enough to do your thing best is install over old copy and boot into safe mode and do a scan works like a charm.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hironez View Post
    I have stopped using windows because many viruses affect Windows systems but there are also viruses for linux but I have never experienced any so far. I think!
    New to security, and I was just turned on to Backtrack while searching for and trying various security-oriented distros. I just want to point out that linux is in fact not prone to viruses the way Windows is.

linuxmafia[dot]com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

maybe someone who knows much more than I would like to poke holes in the article, seems pretty logical to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast