Thread: airodump-ng doesn't collect any data (IPW 3945ABG card)

Just burned his ISO

Arrow airodump-ng doesn't collect any data (IPW 3945ABG card)

Hi,
    I use Backtrack 3 Live CD.
    After start it mounts my wireless card (IPW 3945ABG card) as wlan0.
    The card remains always in monitor mode, i can't change it (but according to information which i've read somewhere... it's normal, because of "raw drivers" or sth)
    When I use Kismet I can see all wireless networks around (including my own WEP encrypted AP).

But, when i run airodump-ng... f.e. that way:
    airodump-ng wlan0 -w /collectedData --channel 11

It works, but not really... I can see many beacons... but field #Data and #/s is always set to 0. Last time i wait more than 40 minutes, have copied more than 1GB data over my own wireless network... but all fields #Data (about 10 wireless networks works around) were ZEROS. Saved files have very small sizes (collectedData.cap <1KB)

Does anyone know what is the reason od this?

you do realise that airodump works in tandom with aireplay-ng, aireplay-ng injects lots of packets and airpdump collects them all.

Just burned his ISO

Tell me if i'm wrong...
    1. I thought airodump-ng doesn't need aireplay-ng to crack WEP...(?)
    And aireplay-ng's injections just make the cracking process much faster (?)
    2. Some cards (f.e my own IPW 3945ABG card) doesn't support injections using Backtrack3 Live CD drivers... or any drivers (?)
    So... no injections => no aireplay-ng => airodump-ng is useless (?)

I'm really sorry,but i'm lost now.
    I've read a lot of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pnovack View Post
    Tell me if i'm wrong...
    1. I thought airodump-ng doesn't need aireplay-ng to crack WEP...(?)
    And aireplay-ng's injections just make the cracking process much faster (?)
    This is correct, aireplay-ng is only used to speed up the whole process by fooling the AP into sending more IVs than it normally would. In other words, you can use airodump-ng on its own for capturing packets.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

In other words, you can use airodump-ng on its own for capturing packets.
    Ive never actually tried it myself but im sure i read somewhere that it would takes weeks/months maybe never depending on level of secruity ie 64,128, 256 bit

2. Some cards (f.e my own IPW 3945ABG card) doesn't support injections using Backtrack3 Live CD drivers... or any drivers (?)
    if your serious about getting into BT3 i would deffiently recomend buying a new wireless card that can inject. They hardly break the bank these days, and if you have two wireless cards you can surf the net while your crack wep

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    Ive never actually tried it myself but im sure i read somewhere that it would takes weeks/months maybe never depending on level of secruity ie 64,128, 256 bit
    The statement that it will take months to collect the needed amount of IVs without injection was relevant before the improved PTW method was implemented into aircrack-ng. Apart from the security level the time it will take to intercept the required amount of IVs will naturally largely depend on the level of activity on the AP. Also, this does not affect the fact that airodump-ng does indeed work just fine on its own, which is what pnovack was asking.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Red face Thx, but....

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    The statement that it will take months to collect the needed amount of IVs without injection was relevant before the improved PTW method was implemented into aircrack-ng. Apart from the security level the time it will take to intercept the required amount of IVs will naturally largely depend on the level of activity on the AP. Also, this does not affect the fact that airodump-ng does indeed work just fine on its own, which is what pnovack was asking.
    Thx for clear answer.
    I had another question, additional.
    Is it normal (possible) not to collect any data (#data), IVs... after sniffing 3 wireless WEP networks in 1 hours time (by airodump-ng)? My own AP was included, and during this time i have copied by FTP protocol over 1 GB of data...
    All networks used the same channel, so.... no hopping here

please note, dont post about illegal stuff ie sniffing 3 networks for cracking, show me the code that are using to get airodump working.

PTW method needs significantly less ivs to crack an AP ie speding the process up, een so it must be a very long process compared to using aireplay where I have craked my own AP in less then 5 mins.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    please note, dont post about illegal stuff ie sniffing 3 networks for cracking, show me the code that are using to get airodump working.

PTW method needs significantly less ivs to crack an AP ie speding the process up, een so it must be a very long process compared to using aireplay where I have craked my own AP in less then 5 mins.
    Nothing here is illegal... I wrote about 3 networks only as an example of "not collecting data". I want to crack my own AP...
    I used tutorial...
    First i run kismet, check number of target channel...
    then in other terminal:
    airodump-ng -wlan0 -w /collectedData --channel 11

BTW i've ordered USB Dongle...
    TechnicLan WUSB-54H 200mW, It's on Realtek 8187 chipset

I'm really hope this one will support injection and will work proper with backtrack 3
    Or, am i wrong...?