Thread: problem installing bt3

Just burned his ISO

Default problem installing bt3

Hello.

I have been trying to install Backtrack 3 Final using the information in some of the posts in the howto section. I have come across a few problems, and I was wondering if somebody could provide help with them.

1: I have not been able to find SD* in the /dev/ folder(the * being a number). I have, however, been able to find HD*. Are they the same thing?

2: When using qparted to resize the primary partition, I keep getting an error saying that it could not be resized and to try chkdsk(some option or another). Is there any way to fix that, or completely avoid qparted altogether?

Thank you in advance,
    DarkenedEmber.

sd** label can be found in th /mnt directory if it is a Hard drive it will probably be hd**. Th ** will be a letter and a number.

or look in th Storage Media dir (click yellow star on th vertical tabs on left of file browser) and check th properties of th devices listed there to identify th device you want to install to.

Sorry cant help with qparted i use boot disc to partition.

I have used fdisk occasionally but not for resizing:
    Type: man fdisk - for instructions
    Type: fdisk /dev/sd* - to start the fdisk program

I had that exact problem with qtparted, it drove me crazy i must have done chkdisk like 5 times, i even downloaded some software to try and repaire any bad sectors on my hard drive and it it didnt find any. SO i just formatted the whole drive and then qtparted didnt have a problem.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for your help. I ended up using the tool testdisk in windows to fix the problem, but now, I have a new one. I have followed all of the instructions(while fixing problems along the way) at forums.remote-exploit.org/showpost.php?p=88620&postcount=1, but when I try to load backtrack, I get the error "hal.dll is missing or corrupted". Have any of you experienced this? And if so, do you know how to fix it?

Default I Believe

Some hard drives read as Sda and some Hda... think most sata's read as sda

Quote Originally Posted by darkenedember View Post
    Thank you for your help. I ended up using the tool testdisk in windows to fix the problem, but now, I have a new one. I have followed all of the instructions(while fixing problems along the way) at forums.remote-exploit.org/showpost.php?p=88620&postcount=1, but when I try to load backtrack, I get the error "hal.dll is missing or corrupted". Have any of you experienced this? And if so, do you know how to fix it?
    hal.dll is a windoze system file that, at least on my computer, is located at
    c:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB889673$\hal.dll
    and
    c:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\hal.dll
    I don't know much about how this affects you since your trying to load bt inside windows. But if you want to replace the file, windozs system dll's can be downloaded here: http://www.dll-files.com/
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.