Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircrack-ng doesnt crack WEP?

Just burned his ISO

Default Aircrack-ng doesnt crack WEP?

Hey Everybody,

Im fairly new but i know what im doing, hopefully So I've been following the tutorials on this site to cracking the WEP. I did everything and when i got to the Aircrack par, it staring the process but it said fail and retry. The process lasted 10-20 min and yet it was still not successful and at the end aircrack stopped. Is there a step or 2 i missed?

Thanks

dragon3003

it would help people help you if you told us exactly what commands you have used

Right, please specify what you exactly did.
    Nobody here is a clairvoyant...not yet :-)
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Most likely you either have not collected enough IVs or in case you use a WEP key other than 64 or 128 bits have not specified the correct length. But as m1sha3l and hawaii67says you really need to provide all the information that you have, right down to the exact commands you use, in order for us to be able to effectively help you out.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you guys for such a prompt respond. I found the problem to the the length of the WEP i was searching for 64 but in stead it was a 128. Here my question on that, How do we know if the WEP is a 64 or a 128? Any sign or do we need to just try 64 and 128?

Thanks again

dragon3003

Quote Originally Posted by dragon3003 View Post
    Here my question on that, How do we know if the WEP is a 64 or a 128? Any sign or do we need to just try 64 and 128?
    When you set the key, if it was 10 chars it's 64 bit. If it was 26 chars than it's 128 bit. Also, if using aircrack-ng the key length does not have to be specified.
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pynstrom View Post
    When you set the key, if it was 10 chars it's 64 bit. If it was 26 chars than it's 128 bit. Also, if using aircrack-ng the key length does not have to be specified.
    oOo lol Thank for all the help and info

Quote Originally Posted by dragon3003 View Post
    Thank you guys for such a prompt respond. I found the problem to the the length of the WEP i was searching for 64 but in stead it was a 128. Here my question on that, How do we know if the WEP is a 64 or a 128? Any sign or do we need to just try 64 and 128?

Thanks again

dragon3003
    you say that you found the problem to be the key length. How is this so? as aircrack doesn't mind what the key length is its the same commands. So has your problem been resolved? if so how?
    "At least black people knew when they where slaves" Doug stanhope

Quote Originally Posted by m1cha3l View Post
    you say that you found the problem to be the key length. How is this so? as aircrack doesn't mind what the key length is its the same commands. So has your problem been resolved? if so how?
    Not quite true, aircrack-ng will by default first try a number of 64 bit keys and unless the key is found it will move on to 128 bit WEP keys. It is therefore possible that the 64 bit key will not be found, unless you specify the length, in case you have few IVs. Also if the key is longer than 128 bits it will never be found unless the correct length is specified.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

thank you once again for your knowledge Tron. its good to learn something new
    "At least black people knew when they where slaves" Doug stanhope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast