Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Antennas

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa Antennas

Im going to be ordering a ALFA USB AWUS036H, i have found two ebay listings, one comes with the standard 2dBi antenna, the other comes with a 2dBi and a 8dBi.

Is the extra money worth it for the 8dBi, with shipping and etc its going to end up costing 25$ canadian more.

Thanks!

i didnt see an increase in signal with the bigger antenna.. so i just use the smaller one

Just burned his ISO

I dont do ebay, so i havent seen the item, but if its just a bigger rubber ducky antenna dont bother, it wont cost more than 3$, but if its a panel or uda-yagi type, yes, its worth it.
    3dbi approx. doubles the coverage distance so 8dbi increases it a lot.

I agree, the "rubber duck" type antennas often bundled with purchases are usually pretty poor quality. I would search around for a decent antenna instead.
    Try fabcorp just as a quick example. I'm sure others will offer some good antenna companies/sites also

Out of curiosity, what is a better choice for a high-gain antenna - let's say 19dbi panel or 19dbi parabolic?

The desired gain and indeed the type of antenna used is decided primarily by the specific use to which you will put it............

Define it's desired purpose and then decide on the correct antenna to suit.

Ah, well perhaps I didn't put that question quite as I intended. I was primarily interested in the scenarios where each antenna is primarily used. I am aware that a parabolic antenna is used for long range communication, but how does a panel antenna compare?

EDIT: I'm guessing...
    parabolic = long range
    panel = wide range

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    Ah, well perhaps I didn't put that question quite as I intended. I was primarily interested in the scenarios where each antenna is primarily used. I am aware that a parabolic antenna is used for long range communication, but how does a panel antenna compare?

EDIT: I'm guessing...
    parabolic = long range
    panel = wide range
    The only way that a panel will have 19 dB gain is for it to be faced with a reflector of some sort (parabolic?).

Any antenna with a gain of 19 dB will have a very narrow bandwidth. If you are quite a distance from your access point, then a permanently mounted, high-gain antenna will be your best bet. If you are "war-driving", then an antenna with this kind of gain would give you disappointing results.

Also, any antenna that truly gives you increased gain will translate into better performance for your card. But the question is "is there really an increase in gain", or is it just a piece of wire molded into rubber to give the appearance of a "quality" product?

Just burned his ISO

This is the listing with the 2 and 8dBi antennas:
    hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/500mW-Alfa-USB-Wireless-G-Adapter-8-dBi-ANTENNA-kit_W0QQitemZ120291773986QQihZ002QQcategoryZ45002Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is just the 2, and u can buy other antennas sep
    hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-500mW-USB-Adapter-Wireless-G-B-RP-SMA-Antenna-Jack_W0QQitemZ300250097166QQihZ020QQcategoryZ45002 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check the second listing down, lists prices for other antennas.

Does the avg Alfa user, just use the 2dBi that comes in the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Raysoc View Post
    Does the avg Alfa user, just use the 2dBi that comes in the box?
    Technically you would buy a new antenna when you need it. Like if the standard 2dbi does not give you sufficient signal to connect to your AP or if you intend to use the card for something else than every day internet browsing (like wardriving).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast