Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767 compatibilty WARNING: noobs gone wild

Just burned his ISO

Default Toshiba Satellite A215-S4767 compatibilty WARNING: noobs gone wild

I got BT3beta bootable on a flash drive but I have compatibility issues with my notebook I went to the wiki for laptops compatibilty (they won't let me post a URL sorry) but I don't understand some of it please help. I am running vista home premium on a Toshiba satellite A215-S4767

1. How do I turn ACIP off?

2. What's "xconf"

3. What's "x" mean?

4. I downloaded the ATI linux driver and I can only read it in internet explorer!?!?!?!?

5. How do I install it properly?

6. I have different wireless adapter its a AR5008X AR5BXB72 will this be compatible? I can't find any thing on it.

7. What should I boot BT3 in when I get it up and running?

1. How do I turn ACIP off?
    Code:
     acpi=off
    2. What's "xconf"
    xconf is a program to try to automatically set up the configuration for your x-window session.

3. What's "x" mean?
    i presume you mean x as in the x-windows system?

4. I downloaded the ATI linux driver and I can only read it in internet explorer!?!?!?!?
    please explain more!

6. I have different wireless adapter its a AR5008X AR5BXB72 will this be compatible? I can't find any thing on it.
    if it not listed in the wiki HCL then it probably dosn't run out of the box. there is a way to test this however! Does it work from the live CD?

7. What should I boot BT3 in when I get it up and running?
    thats totally your choice. i myself have a hdd install and run any other OS i may need or wanna play with inside vmware. But a lot of people dual or triple boot. and a USB stick install is very popular. so like i say the choice is yours.

And you can't post working links. just change http: to hxxp:.

Just burned his ISO

OK first off thanks for helping.I think I should give you more detailed info on everything. My issue goes like this I boot from the usb and BT3 menu comes up it asks me which one I want to boot from. I then choose one and some code runs "startup ok" or something like that and then it just hangs at a black screen which has been discused on this forum but not for my setup. Now this happens for all the boot menu options execpt for the safe mode and the memory test.In safe mode the code line jams up on acpi . In the test mode it just runs a mem test. As for the linux ATI driver sh*t I downloaded it and saved it. But when I go to the file windows tells me find a program to open it in and the only choice in internet explorer and it won't open in IE.I have to download again anyways my computer had to be recovered I'll get back to you on it. Here is the url for the wiki try decode this NSA crpto LOL hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php?title=HCL:Laptops#Satellite_A215-S4767 . Now I can't figure out how to access BT3 boot promt and it wont let me type any thing in any ideas????

Quote Originally Posted by franciskuppe View Post
    As for the linux ATI driver sh*t I downloaded it and saved it. But when I go to the file windows tells me find a program to open it in and the only choice in internet explorer and it won't open in IE.I have to download again anyways my computer had to be recovered I'll get back to you on it.
    Back|Track is an advance distribution of Linux, is NOT recommended for beginners. You really need to learn and understand Linux. By posting the above, you're showing that you don't know even the basics. Linux is NOT Windows, and attempting to open Linux programs and files under Windows will just result in problems.

Google is a good resource for learning Linux, and there are also a number of good books on the subject.

Now I can't figure out how to access my BIOS
    Press "F2" on boot.

I callled toshiba and they said it was out if there scope WTF .
    Do you mean 'out of their scope'? Most likely that means the support has ended for the model you have. In other words, its warranty has expired.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by franciskuppe via PM
    I know window is not linux I thought the download was going to patch somthing in the graphics card so the laptop could run BT3 and I have looked of google for help and the aircrack wiki multiple times .So what should do put the linux ATI patch in the flash drive?
    First, continuing a discussion between a thread and private messages doesn't benefit anyone on the forums except you, so it becomes akin to a consultation. I'd be happy to do that, but you probably don't want to pay my rates. Continuing the discussion in the thread potentially benefits others who might have the same issue.

OK, with that out of the way, you need to understand that the the ATI driver is a driver. It is not a patch. A Linux driver has to be loaded and run via the Linux operating system. What you would have to do is copy the file onto the B|T flash and tell the system load it at boot.

You might find it easier to start with a Linux distro such as Ubuntu. It tends to be more forgiving for beginners, and has a wider acceptance of hardware. You can learn on that and then move to B|T.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

OK OK........please spare me mercy lord Thorn, What is the correct way to load the file into the flash drive.

I really think you should learn linux first.
    If you have all these questions, all ready just installing a driver.
    How are you going to use the backtrack tools then, i think we then need a forum just for you.

Not trying to bash at you, but YOU SHOULD LEARN AT LEAST THE BASICS of linux.

OK OK........please spare me mercy lord Thorn, What is the correct way to load the file into the flash drive.
    Copy it, assuming that the flash is a FAT32 format. Of course, that then begs the questions: 'Which partition to copy it to?' A: 'It depends on the setup of the flash.', as well as 'Which directory to copy it to?' A: 'I don't know offhand; read the READMEs and HOWTOs. Hint: starting in /etc is a logical choice.' Then of course, there are things like possible configuration files for the driver, as well as tweaking xconf.

You are trying to run and very advance Linux distro that is geared towards very advanced users, performing one main task: i.e. that of pen testing.

While you might learn Linux this way, it is rather ass backards. You'd be better off learning Linux on a distro that is much more user friendly, reading beginner books, and querying beginner Linux forums (there are a number out there that are very good.) Once you are somewhere past asking basic questions (probably 3 months to a year, depending on you ability) then you might want to consider trying B|T again. The other area you'll need to be well grounded in is networking, both wired and wireless, in order to use B|T.

Also, going back to the intended use of B|T: Unless you are actively engaged in infosec (or hope to break into the field), B|T is about as useful are tits on a bull moose. It really is that specialized, and requires a LOT of prior knowledge.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up BT3 runs on vmware

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Copy it, assuming that the flash is a FAT32 format. Of course, that then begs the questions: 'Which partition to copy it to?' A: 'It depends on the setup of the flash.', as well as 'Which directory to copy it to?' A: 'I don't know offhand; read the READMEs and HOWTOs. Hint: starting in /etc is a logical choice.' Then of course, there are things like possible configuration files for the driver, as well as tweaking xconf.

You are trying to run and very advance Linux distro that is geared towards very advanced users, performing one main task: i.e. that of pen testing.

While you might learn Linux this way, it is rather ass backards. You'd be better off learning Linux on a distro that is much more user friendly, reading beginner books, and querying beginner Linux forums (there are a number out there that are very good.) Once you are somewhere past asking basic questions (probably 3 months to a year, depending on you ability) then you might want to consider trying B|T again. The other area you'll need to be well grounded in is networking, both wired and wireless, in order to use B|T.

Also, going back to the intended use of B|T: Unless you are actively engaged in infosec (or hope to break into the field), B|T is about as useful are tits on a bull moose. It really is that specialized, and requires a LOT of prior knowledge.

OK, Went to the library today got the Linux bible 07,Linux for dummies
    and wireless networking for dummies. Good start I'd say. Then I decided to try booting BT3 from vmware and it worked great. Some issues with the mouse and sound but that's it. Now what??? Set up a wireless lab? What parts of the books I have should I study? How do I install aircrack?? If my network is briged by vmware is that OK??? I also booted up ubuntu but I still cant get my wireless adapter to run on it.

Good for you for getting the books. Most people would not make the effort. I'm not keen on the "Dummies" series, but they are a start.

Read the books cover to cover, get more books, then research the Internet about what you don't understand, THEN ask about what you don't understand. Some sort of a log of questions and answers may help with the process. You'll be surprised at how much and how fast you progress, and how understanding one thing leads to understanding another, to another, etc.
    Thorn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast