Thread: Must reboot after ifconfig up/down to access WAN

Default Must reboot after ifconfig up/down to access WAN

This has been a persistent problem and I hope someone may know what I'm doing wrong. I have checked the forum posts and cannot seem to find a solution.

BT3 makes wonderful use of various interface cards/devices which sometimes requires bring the device up or down. If I:

ifconfig eth0 down

then ifconfig eth0 up

I've then lost connectivity to the internet but not the router. I also have tried all the following commands which only reestablishes connectivity to my router at 192.168.1.1 but cannot ping beyond that:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    ifconfig eth0 up

route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Also have tried:

echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf

modprobe e100
    dhcpcd eth0

still only re-establish connectivity to the router at 192.168.1.1 but not beyond that. I must re-boot to re-establish connectivity to the outside world (i.e., the internet). I am getting an ip number via dhcpcd.

Any insights or help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bulgin View Post
    still only re-establish connectivity to the router at 192.168.1.1 but not beyond that. I must re-boot to re-establish connectivity to the outside world (i.e., the internet). I am getting an ip number via dhcpcd.
    Could you please provide the information on what actual chipset/driver you are using to connect and at the very least if this is using a wireless or wired connection?

There is no avoiding the fact that you will loose your connection each time you bring down the connection using ifconfig eth0 down. However a rough workaround for the problem would be to remove and then re-load the driver for your card instead of rebooting the whole computer. This can be done using the following commands:
    Code:
    rmmod bcm43xx
    modprobe bcm43xx
    The above commands are assuming that you use the bcm43xx driver which naturally have to be changed if it is not correct.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Tron -- thank you so much for the useful information. Yours is the first truly useful information I have seen.

This is a wired connection although I have the same problem with wireless.

How would I determine the driver/chipset for the built-in ethernet card and the wireless card?

Here is some information I know off the top of my head for the ethernet connection and wireless connection hardware:

Atheros AR 5005G5 Wireless network adapter
    Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I also have a Proxim Gold Orinoco 11b/g PC Card for wireless in addition to the built-in one stated above.

Does that help or do you need other information?

Thank you.

The provided information does suffice, but as you state that you have the same problem regardless of your card it is most likely not driver related. I find it rather puzzling that you are able to ping your router, but not get past the gateway and to the WAN. I would however suggest that you use the following commands to start off a clear plate each time you need to re-connect:
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*
    dhcpcd –k eth0
    Then once you have used the other commands needed to connect to your AP use dhcpcd –d –n to force the dhcpc daemon to issue a new IP for you.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    The provided information does suffice, but as you state that you have the same problem regardless of your card it is most likely not driver related. I find it rather puzzling that you are able to ping your router, but not get past the gateway and to the WAN. I would however suggest that you use the following commands to start off a clear plate each time you need to re-connect:
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*
    dhcpcd –k eth0
    Then once you have used the other commands needed to connect to your AP use dhcpcd –d –n to force the dhcpc daemon to issue a new IP for you.
    Hi Tron.

I tried your commands and still no joy. I can always get an ip address from the dhcp server on the router. And I can always ping the router. It's getting past the router that is the problem.

Anybody? DHCP from router delivers ip address. I can ping router but cannot get past it to "the world". Must reboot to BT3 in order to get past router.