Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sdhc, usb, hdd

Default Sdhc, usb, hdd

OK, A Data wont let me return my dead SDHC card, as mentioned in another topic. Before I Bought a new one, i was thinking, flashdrives have the same capacity as well, and i could mount one inside my eeepc, like a solid sate disk, or even if its possible, a USB 1.8 inch harddrive(like what's in your ipod.) What usually has more write cycles, a flashdrive or SDHC card? and also, has anyone had experience with some very small harddrives? do they cause alot of heat? are they small enough to shove into an eeepc?
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    OK, A Data wont let me return my dead SDHC card, as mentioned in another topic. Before I Bought a new one, i was thinking, flashdrives have the same capacity as well, and i could mount one inside my eeepc, like a solid sate disk, or even if its possible, a USB 1.8 inch harddrive(like what's in your ipod.) What usually has more write cycles, a flashdrive or SDHC card? and also, has anyone had experience with some very small harddrives? do they cause alot of heat? are they small enough to shove into an eeepc?
    Flash drives and SDHC cards should have the same write cycle since they use the same chips. The ipod drives do get warm, but not too hot. Depending on your eee model you should be able to install the drive.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Flash drives and SDHC cards should have the same write cycle since they use the same chips. The ipod drives do get warm, but not too hot. Depending on your eee model you should be able to install the drive.
    That would be a fantastic tutorial - remove the drive from an iPod mini and install it in a EEE PC. I don't have the skilz but maybe you do?

Quote Originally Posted by DaKahuna View Post
    That would be a fantastic tutorial - remove the drive from an iPod mini and install it in a EEE PC. I don't have the skilz but maybe you do?
    It's really not that hard. The hardest part is finding the space. You'll need one of these(hey look, now I can get one shipped to me if I wanted), and a drive. Just wire it up to one of the two unused usb pins on the mini-pci headers. This will lower your battery run time though. I've wired in a sdhc card reader in the space above the ram. So I have an internal 4Gb sdhc card with BT installed. That leaves the external card slot free. I have Ubuntu with the netbook remix stuff installed on the ssd. The only problems I've found with this setup is when you do bios upgrades it will only look at the internal usb. So you have to put the update file on that, it wouldn't look at my usb thumbdrive I had it on.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

It's really not that hard. The hardest part is finding the space. You'll need one of these(hey look, now I can get one shipped to me if I wanted), and a drive. Just wire it up to one of the two unused usb pins on the mini-pci headers. This will lower your battery run time though. I've wired in a sdhc card reader in the space above the ram. So I have an internal 4Gb sdhc card with BT installed. That leaves the external card slot free. I have Ubuntu with the netbook remix stuff installed on the ssd. The only problems I've found with this setup is when you do bios upgrades it will only look at the internal usb. So you have to put the update file on that, it wouldn't look at my usb thumbdrive I had it on.
    Every time I look at this question it does seem that the 1.8 inch HDD seems to be the better choice... if I can find the space to shove it in my little eeepc. ive seen people shove tons and tons of other crap in there before... so if i can find a nice clear area, or possibly do a small casemod to help it fit, all should work fine. Although it would be pretty neat if there was like some 3/4 inch HDD
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Every time I look at this question it does seem that the 1.8 inch HDD seems to be the better choice... if I can find the space to shove it in my little eeepc. ive seen people shove tons and tons of other crap in there before... so if i can find a nice clear area, or possibly do a small casemod to help it fit, all should work fine. Although it would be pretty neat if there was like some 3/4 inch HDD
    Google micordrive. I've got a couple, they're the same size as a cf card. One of them actually pretends to be a cf card, I picked it up when 340Mb cf cards didn't exist, and at the time it was around $200! The only problem with them is they are a tad slow.

Oh, found this too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defor/s...7603759600312/

Nice find! anyway, I looked up the microdrives. They're cool and all, but they max out at 8 gb of space, not enough for me. I did rip apart my ipod 5.5 gen, and took out its 80GB harddrive, just to see what I'm up against. it looks like I may have to do what eastrain from flickr did with his harddrive. The approximate measurement of the harddrive is 2 1/8" x 2 3/4" x 3/8" so it looks like there is no choice but to do a casemod to make it fit...
    I'm opening my eee back up now just to make sure...

EDIT: after quite a bit of clearance testing, it seems that the only place it would fit is under the ram door... looks like i just need to find the most compact usb enclosure so that i can make this all work... now i must be off to peel silly putty off of my eee motherboard...

Nice find! anyway, I looked up the microdrives. They're cool and all, but they max out at 8 gb of space, not enough for me. I did rip apart my ipod 5.5 gen, and took out its 80GB harddrive, just to see what I'm up against. it looks like I may have to do what eastrain from flickr did with his harddrive. The approximate measurement of the harddrive is 2 1/8" x 2 3/4" x 3/8" so it looks like there is no choice but to do a casemod to make it fit...
    I'm opening my eee back up now just to make sure...

EDIT: after quite a bit of clearance testing, it seems that the only place it would fit is under the ram door... looks like i just need to find the most compact usb enclosure so that i can make this all work... now i must be off to peel silly putty off of my eee motherboard...

The drive he used in the link I posted is one of the thicker ones, it's 8mm thick, there are drives that are 5mm thick that shouldn't need to have the exterior of the case modified. Though if it was me I'd put a layer of plexi over the drive in that link.

As for iPod drives, make sure you get the right usb adapter for it. There's two different kinds of connectors for them. Some use a zif cable, others (the older ones) use a modified ide connector.

The drive he used in the link I posted is one of the thicker ones, it's 8mm thick, there are drives that are 5mm thick that shouldn't need to have the exterior of the case modified. Though if it was me I'd put a layer of plexi over the drive in that link.

As for iPod drives, make sure you get the right usb adapter for it. There's two different kinds of connectors for them. Some use a zif cable, others (the older ones) use a modified ide connector.
    yeah, the one I have is zif... All i need to do is find an enclosure that goes from ZIF to usb, and I'll be fine

Default Ready to go...

OK i found the hard drive enclosure needed for the iPod ZIF drive, (http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/enc18aluz.html)and it's on its way here. One thing that popped into my mind is, which USB port should I solder this to? I heard how some laptop/computer manufacturers make their products with only some of the USB ports fully powered, and the other ones are hubbed. Is that the case with the eee pc, and if so, which port should I use? If no one knows, is there a way to test for this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast