Thread: Help patching kernel, No wireless

Just burned his ISO

Default Help patching kernel, No wireless

Hello, I had another topic in the newbie section, but the title didn't reflect the now current problem. After upgrading the kernel from 2.6.21.5 to 2.6.26,
    installing all of the modules, using b43-fwcutter and installing all of the firmware, It's still not working . At the moment I can see networks in wireless assistant, but I cant connect(i've tried doing it through konsole).Right now I'm trying to patch the kernel with mac80211_2.6.26-wl_frag.patch. But when I attempt to patch it, I get
    Code:
    bt linux-2.6.26 # patch -p1 < mac80211_2.6.26-wl_frag.patch
    patching file /net/mac80211/tx.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 636.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -saving rejects to file /net/mac80211/tx.c.rej
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help is really appreciated as I've been at this for a couple day's and I think that this patch might fix it.

I know this from patching other sources like madwifi-ng + injection + karma

what went wrong can be found in the .rej file so at first have a look at this file to see what the patch expected to find/replace.

/net/mac80211/tx.c.rej
    best regards

Just burned his ISO

Thanks FooFighter, I've checked it, and I get something like
    Code:
    **636,641****
    ...code...

---636,646----
    ...more code...

+ ....
    + ....
       ....more code....
    This might sound kind of nooby, Can I just replace the code in tx.c on the line numbers (im guessing the ***636,641*** etc. is the start and end line?)with the code in the tx.c.rej file and then recompile the kernel? what do the lines with the '+' at the start of them mean? Thanks again.

edit: I just re-read your post, I'll post the .rej and maybe someone could point me at what to do:
    Code:
    *** 636,641 ****
            if (ieee80211_hdrlen(hdr->frame_control) < 24)
                    return TX_CONTINUE;

if (!ieee80211_is_data_qos(hdr->frame_control)) {
                    info->flags |= IEEE80211_TX_CTL_ASSIGN_SEQ;
                    return TX_CONTINUE;
    --- 636,646 ----
            if (ieee80211_hdrlen(hdr->frame_control) < 24)
                    return TX_CONTINUE;

+       if (unlikely((info->flags & IEEE80211_TX_CTL_INJECTED) &&
    +          (tx->sdata->vif.type == IEEE80211_IF_TYPE_MNTR) &&
    +          !(tx->sdata->u.mntr_flags & MONITOR_FLAG_COOK_FRAMES)))
    +               return TX_CONTINUE;
    +
            if (!ieee80211_is_data_qos(hdr->frame_control)) {
                    info->flags |= IEEE80211_TX_CTL_ASSIGN_SEQ;
                    return TX_CONTINUE;

I'm no programmer but I would simply backup file tx.c

then open the file in an text editor and go to line 636

make the section look like the lower part of your reject file except the "+" characters and recompile.

good luck

"+" means adding content
    "-" removing content
    best regards

Just burned his ISO

I just tried what you said, line 636-646 is different than what is in the tx.c.rej file. However I still tried what you said and backed it up and copied everything below "---636,646---" onto lines 636 - 646(I removed what was there before, and deleted the '+' characters). Not surprisingly when I tryed to recompile I got errors. I know the patch is for the 2.6.26 kernel, which is what I have . Why would this be? what should I try now? Thanks for taking the time to help.

okay, my previous descriptition probably was a bit to short if you haven't done this before

go to that line described and search the upper content of your reject file. if you don't find it you are out of the game as a non-programmer

if it simply moved in position you can try to apply the changed from the lower part of the reject file.
    best regards

Just burned his ISO

Ahh, ok thanks again FooFighter, but I searched the whole file and couldn't find it . The hopes for me getting my wireless card to work with the 2.6.26 kernel are fading . Thanks for the help FooFighter, If anyone has any suggestions as to what to try please respond.

just to clarify the problem:

After upgrading to kernel 2.6.26, installing all modules, installing all firmware with bcm43xx-fwcutter, my Broadcom 4311 wireless card can detect networks, but not actually connect. after trying to connect and looking at /var/log/syslog, I get "dhcpcd server timed out while waiting", or something along those lines, I'm not posting from my laptop. I can connect to the same AP from a seperate windows install. If anyone has a Broadcom 4311 working with 2.6.26, maybe you could post how you did it . Thanks in advance.

I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to patch from the first post. It sounds like you are trying to patch the full 2.6.26 kernel. If that is so I believe that the patch won't work even though it has 2.6.26 in the name. I believe that this patch you referred to is meant for the "compat-wireless" drivers. I have used the patch on mac80211 in the "compat-wireless" drivers and it works great. No success on the actual kernel. I have the 3945abg card so I had to compile the kernel without patching it and then install the patched "compat-wireless" drivers. I could be wrong as these patches have been changing a lot the past couple of months but that is the path that I took.