Thread: Broadcom Question

Just burned his ISO

Default Broadcom Question

Hey everyone, I'm new to this fantastic forum, and i like to start with a question that i saw tackled many times on this forum, and i am still little bit confused and hope i can get some clarification.

Broadcom network driver by default is bcm43xx in backtrack 3, which works perfect in monitor mode, but having troubles in managed mode. I'm well aware that the bcm43xx driver doesn't work, or is faulty in managed mode when trying to connect to an AP. So my understanding is that the old bcmwl5.inf (which is the windows driver i believe) will work when i want to enable dhcp. When i go to install it using ndiswrapper using -i /path/bcwml5 it seems to work fine but its still not enough to get it working. I think I'm missing a few steps, most likely i need to disable the old driver and enable this one, when i use airmon-ng i think it still shows the bcm43xx driver, how do i go about this, if anyone can show me the commands for this shell i'd be very grateful, and im sorry if this question has been repeated on this forum and if any additional info can be of service just post and i'll post screen shots Thank You
    d3c1ph3r

Quote Originally Posted by decipher View Post
    Broadcom network driver by default is bcm43xx in backtrack 3, which works perfect in monitor mode, but having troubles in managed mode. I'm well aware that the bcm43xx driver doesn't work, or is faulty in managed mode when trying to connect to an AP.
    Where have you got this information? I have personally used the bcm43xx driver in managed mode without any trouble in BT3F, both to connect to unencrypted and encrypted APs. I believe that the error is most likely to be found within the commands you use, or possibly leave out, and not the driver itself.

Since you post in the BT3 beta section I would also advice you to upgrade to BT3 Final, since better broadcom drivers are included, especially for injection.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

I saw a few links that pointed out this problem

forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11098

I just realized it was talking bout back track 2.. but none the less im having problems connecting to an access point, i don't use wirelessassistant for i hear its crap, all i do when i log in to backtrack is
    ifconfig eth1 down
    iwconfig eth1 essid <networkname> key <passphrase>
    ifconfig eth1 up
    dhcpcd eth1
    everything works good till dhcpcd either it freezes or it finishes and didnt do anything. let me know if im doing something wrong or more information can be given thank you
    decipher

Quote Originally Posted by decipher View Post
    ifconfig eth1 down
    iwconfig eth1 essid <networkname> key <passphrase>
    ifconfig eth1 up
    dhcpcd eth1
    everything works good till dhcpcd either it freezes or it finishes and didnt do anything. let me know if im doing something wrong or more information can be given thank you
    decipher
    Try issuing these two commands before connecting to the AP:
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*
    dhcpcd -k eth1
    The first one will delete any previously created configuration files by the dhcpc daemon that might be interfering and the second command kills any running instances of the program.

You should also make sure that your card locks down onto the correct AP before issuing the dhcpcd eth1 command, this can easily be checked by running watch iwconfig eth1 in a separate window. I also advice you to use the command dhcpcd –n –d eth1 instead of the current one as it will output more information about the process and also force your card to use a new local ip address.

Another thing to take into consideration when using a Broadcom chipset is that the TX power of these cards usually are pretty low, meaning that you will have to be quite close to the AP to be able to successfully connect to it.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.