Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uninstalling bt2 and lilo dual boot

Just burned his ISO

Question uninstalling bt2 and lilo dual boot

about 2 months ago i installed bt2 as a dual boot on my system through the video tutorial on offensive-security.com/videos. now that bt3 final is out i want to get rid of my old installation and start from scratch probably on a bt3 usb instal. but before i go messing around with bt3 i need help getting rid of bt2 and lilo from my hard drive. ive looked up some other tutorials but none of them sound intelligent and i do not want to end up losing all my data and doing a fresh install of xp. currently i am running xp sp2 if that matters at all. if someone could please help me out or point me in the direction of someone who can that would be great. just to reiterate, i need to get my mbr back, get rid of lilo, get rid of bt2 and also add the 4 drive partitions back to my regular xp partition. thanks again

You will proberly have to look this up, because I am not to sure that it will work… but I am almost certain that you can fix the mbr using the windows xp cd Recovery Console. From there I think the command is “fixboot” and as for the linux partitions that you currently have bt2 installed on, just use something like partition magic from within windows to add them to your windows partition? BUT! Make sure you fix the mbr before you go removing the linux partitions…

Again, I am almost certain that that will work… but google the “fixboot” command for the windows recovery console…

edit: i just did a quick google search... have a read of this Repairing Windows XP with your Install Disk

WIndows - recovery console - fixmbr (or fixboot)

If you simply want to change from bt2 to bt3 you can just format your bt2 partition and install bt3 onto it.

What do you mean about adding your 4 partitions back "into" windows?
    If they are *nix partitions, from the bt2 installation, just re-use them in the same way for bt3.
    If one is a home partition, you can keep that and it's data intact, if you like.

Just burned his ISO

Wink maybe...

ok i understand that the consensus is fixboot from the recovery console. however, my computer did not ship with a reinstall cd. it does however have a recovery partition but ive never used it. anyway to do fixboot without the cd? anyone know about the hp mandatory recovery partition? also, im curious if its possible to uninstal lilo from inside babcktrack. let me know what you think

You don't need the XP/Vista CD.
    You could even d/l an old win98 boot floppy image and use the cmd "fdisk /mbr" to fix it, if that's any help?
    (I realise many laptops don't have floppy any more (use a USB floppy drive?) but many desktops still have them)

As for your recovery partition, it depends on the machine. Some have the recovery console installed to HDD too. Take a look.
    Some just have an OEM image restoration program - usually with "complete" or "just Windows" options.

There are also FIXMBR clones around that can be run as a straight .exe from floppy, etc.
    They simply emulate the Windows FIXMBR utility.
    Because I'm such a nice guy () I'll even link a copy for you.....
    http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-...ilo-fixmbr.php

In future, make sure you back up your MBR first
    (lots of programs around to do that too - even for free!)

Good luck

Lilo saves a copy of your mbr when it's installed. You can use "lilo -u" to uninstall lilo and copy your original mbr back. Read the manual page. I mention this as an alternative to /fixboot or /fixmbr since you already have lilo installed and you don't have a recovery cd.

To add your partitions back to your windows drive you'll need some partitioning software. I use Partition Commander but there's others. You "delete" your extra partitions then "expand" your ntfs partition to take up the unused space. When you reboot windows will want to run chkdisk. Let it.

Partition Commander isn't free but it works. I've had good luck with http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php which is free.

Partitioning software is a good investment if you plan on using it frequently. For occasional usage gparted works fine. If you don't want to lose it, always backup before using any partitioning software. Sh*t happens, even with expensive software.

Good Luck

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

you guys are amazing

alright, it looks like im finally getting somewhere. i checked out FIXMBR but i have a few questions because im still new to this. so i downloaded the file and ran it. all it did was run a cmd box and then it went away and it pulled up a webpage with readme info on it. do i have to make it bootable? once again, i really dont know how to do that either. i would be doing via usb drive though, just a heads up for anyone posting information. do i just throw it on a usb drive and detect that drive before my hdd?

also, @ghaze -- when you say read the manual page for lilo -u, do you mean here on the forums or within the OS or is it a webpage? .txt? idk help me out

Fixmbr - Make a bootable floppy or CD, add fixmbr and use it as so:
    Code:
    mbrfix /drive 0 fixmbr
    Lilo manual page = "man" page
    Just type:
    Code:
    man lilo
    As ghaze already said though, if you have an MBR backup, use the lilo -u option, if possible

Just burned his ISO

Smile

i went in to my back to my bt2 instal and tried lilo -u but it said that boot/boot/ does not exist. it tried to locate the file in its default location i am assuming but didnt find it. however, i opened up sda2 in the file explorer and there was a boot file (boot.0800 or something). from what i understand, that is my mbr backup. i think however that lilo -u looked for sda3/boot/ but when i opened that up there wasnt anything there (i checked the hidden/non hidden files). it looks like FIXMBR might be a better choice but if you have any advice let me know. also, im still at a lack of understanding for making FIXMBR bootable

Run the "file" command on your boot.300 file.

file /boot/boot.0300
    /boot/boot.0300: x86 boot sector, Microsoft Windows XP MBR, Serial 0x2d412d40; partition 2: ID=0x82, starthead 254, startsector 20000925, 1992060 sectors; partition 3: ID=0x83, starthead 254, startsector 21992985, 56179305 sectors
    http://www.unixguide.net/linux/faq/04.12.shtml

Try
    lilo -u /dev/sda

They also mention using dd. I hope you've backed up your data.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast