Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ports are filtered(Nmap)

Default Ports are filtered(Nmap)

Ok, I'm trying to do a port scan on a Windows XP box(SP2). After I start Nmap, and type 192.168.1.X, it says ports are filtered. I went into my Linksys router, and unchecked the following(Firewall Settings).

Block anonymous Internet Requests,
    Filter Multicast
    and Filter Internet Nat Redirection.

I do a port scan again, all the ports are still filtered, and there isn't a firewall on my XP box. It says this on all the computers on my home network.

Any suggestions?

* Oh, and the reason why I want to see some open ports is because I'm trying to learn how to use Metasploit.
    A+
    Network +
    Security +
    Linux +

Work in progress: Saving for OSCP

Currently reading:Hacking-The Art Of Exploitation.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by cleanwithit2008 View Post
    Ok, I'm trying to do a port scan on a Windows XP box(SP2). After I start Nmap, and type 192.168.1.X, it says ports are filtered. I went into my Linksys router, and unchecked the following(Firewall Settings).

Block anonymous Internet Requests,
    Filter Multicast
    and Filter Internet Nat Redirection.

I do a port scan again, all the ports are still filtered, and there isn't a firewall on my XP box. It says this on all the computers on my home network.

Any suggestions?

* Oh, and the reason why I want to see some open ports is because I'm trying to learn how to use Metasploit.
    Were you attempting an NMAP against your machines on the same segment as the machines are on? Meaning, from the same side of your Linksys router, that the machines you're attempting to exploit are on?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Were you attempting an NMAP against your machines on the same segment as the machines are on? Meaning, from the same side of your Linksys router, that the machines you're attempting to exploit are on?
    Yes sir, from the same side. But I haven't attempted to use metasploit. I'm just trying to get familiar with Nmap.
    A+
    Network +
    Security +
    Linux +

Yes sir, from the same side.
    Then making the changes to your firewall would have made not a single iota of difference. The firewall only looks at traffic passing through it, not by it.

Being an N+, I'm sure you just overlooked that.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Then making the changes to your firewall would have made not a single iota of difference. The firewall only looks at traffic passing through it, not by it.

Being an N+, I'm sure you just overlooked that.
    Right, I did overlook it. I got it now. I just needed to fool around with it. Someone very kind on this forum messaged me and showed me a few things.
    A+
    Network +
    Security +
    Linux +

Right, I did overlook it. I got it now. I just needed to fool around with it. Someone very kind on this forum messaged me and showed me a few things.
    If you have AV software on the machine, some of it can do stateful packet inspection/filtering.

If you have AV software on the machine, some of it can do stateful packet inspection/filtering.
    I never knew that, thanks for the tip.

What options do you guys use for Nmap?
    A+
    Network +
    Security +
    Linux +

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Since your on a 100mb connection and only scanning one machine, I'd do:
    Code:
     nmap -p- 192.168.1.X
    Try opening a port prior to your scan. Enable FTP within Windows. Connect to it to validate its working and then run your scan. Then, you can enable IIS, etc if you want open results. Just make sure you filter these ports from the internet.

William

disable the Windows XP Firewall & You have done or disable any software firewall working in your system.most of the time I found this problem because of XP SP 2 firewall.

I have these ports opened. I did Fastrack, and was able to get a shell back. But when I try to use Metasploit it doesn't work

Port 100,135,139, 445, 2869.

Any suggestions for using metasploit.

Secure it,

You are right about the Windows Firewall.
    A+
    Network +
    Security +
    Linux +

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast