Thread: Mac Address filtering problem

Just burned his ISO

Question Mac Address filtering problem

Hello,
    Nice to meet everybody here and thank you for all your assistance in previous post which I have used. I have hit a problem though and I don't seem to be able to find a solution (I am probably looking in the wrong place.)

I share a network with some friends of mine which I can connect to fine using windows but I have a problem with BT3, I am use the usb iso version.

The only form of security on the network is mac address filtering, when the feature is turned off I can connect with BT3 but when it is enabled I can connect to the network but the network refuses to issue me with an IP address when I use dhclient or dhcpd.

I am using a Realtek rtl8187b wifi card with modified realtek drivers posted by Johnny Cuervo which work fine without the mac filtering enabled.

Any assistance on the matter would be greatly appreciated
    Many Thanks
    Che

It sounds like you either changed the MAC address of your wireless device and therefore cannot connect which you can then add new MAC address to your friend's router/AP or you are hacking and you were blocked because of truly unauthorised access.

Just burned his ISO

Default Not the problem

Thanks for your suggestion however with the modified drivers it is not possible for me to change my mac address when I try the kernel gets very angry with me I get lots of error messages and the system locks up. I have not changed or modified the mac in any way and it is correctly entered into my friends router as when I boot with windows I log on to the system with no problem.
    Comparing the Ipconfig /all output in windows and the ifconfig output in BT3 I get exactly the same mac address.

If you have any more constructive suggestion I would be very grateful if you would share them with me.
    Thanks
    Che

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by domrad2000 View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion however with the modified drivers it is not possible for me to change my mac address when I try the kernel gets very angry with me I get lots of error messages and the system locks up. I have not changed or modified the mac in any way and it is correctly entered into my friends router as when I boot with windows I log on to the system with no problem.
    Comparing the Ipconfig /all output in windows and the ifconfig output in BT3 I get exactly the same mac address.

If you have any more constructive suggestion I would be very grateful if you would share them with me.
    Thanks
    Che
    I believe what he meant was you have changed the MAC of your card in Winders, and when you're in BT3, it's reading your real MAC, therefore you connect connect, because the AP is expecting the same MAC that you have set in Winders.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I believe what he meant was you have changed the MAC of your card in Winders, and when you're in BT3, it's reading your real MAC, therefore you connect connect, because the AP is expecting the same MAC that you have set in Winders.
    Oh great. Another version of Windows to keep track of. Winders Vista, redneck edition.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Default mixing macs?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Maybe but both of the mac addresses are identical as I said earlier so how can that be the problem?

Thank you guys for your suggestions and you have helped me find the problem. Even though I have changed nothing in my mac configuration it appears that windows has changed one digit of my mac address which is why I could not log on.
    Thank You
    Che