Thread: Does the Alfa AWUS036H work on only one USB port?

Default Does the Alfa AWUS036H work on only one USB port?

I have an IBM T40 and it only has two USB 2.0 ports. I already use one of them since I use the USB version of BT3.

So unless I opt to do an HD install of BT3 or use a LiveCD (I'd rather not), will using the Alfa plugged into only one USB port work and if it does, is there a big performance difference since there's less power?

Quote Originally Posted by jkroeder View Post
    I have an IBM T40 and it only has two USB 2.0 ports. I already use one of them since I use the USB version of BT3.

So unless I opt to do an HD install of BT3 or use a LiveCD (I'd rather not), will using the Alfa plugged into only one USB port work and if it does, is there a big performance difference since there's less power?
    Get a USB port hub.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by jkroeder View Post

You will be able to use it just as fine with your one port. I believe that you only have to employ both USB connectors in case you have USB1.0, but in my experience the card will perform equally good using only one USB2.0 port as using two.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

I confirm what Tron just said. Using an Alfa on high tx-power with just one USB2 port works w/o any problems.

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I'll be ordering one of these soon

Just burned his ISO

Default PCMCIA card to USB 2.0 with AWUS036H

My Dell D600 has only 2 (1.1) USB ports and both have to be
    used for backtrack 3 to see my AWUS036H.

Has anyone solved this problem by using a pcmcia to USB 2 card?
    Where you able to use just one port on the adapter ?

I could buy a USB hub with a power supply for higher current devices
    but that's more stuff I have to lug around while on vacation.

Appreciate the feedback

thanks

Ken

My alfa only has one usb port on it. Is that non-standard? Anyways it works great with a single port including on my IBM T40.
    Information is like water...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRS View Post
    My alfa only has one usb port on it. Is that non-standard? Anyways it works great with a single port including on my IBM T40.
    The wireless card itself has one mini-usb port, yes. However, normally you get a USB cable along that has two normal USB plugs for you to plug into 2 computer slots.

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    The wireless card itself has one mini-usb port, yes. However, normally you get a USB cable along that has two normal USB plugs for you to plug into 2 computer slots.
    Good to know, I think I just used a USB cable I had lying around and left the new one in the package.
    Information is like water...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRS View Post
    Good to know, I think I just used a USB cable I had lying around and left the new one in the package.
    The USB cable that comes with the Alfa card has two plugs to be able to provide the card with sufficiently of power in case you only have USB1.0 support on your computer. Using a USB2.0 cable with a single plug should nevertheless work just fine as you said.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.