Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircrack-ng Dictionary size limitation

Default Aircrack-ng Dictionary size limitation

OK I have created 0-9 ten length all possible combinations textfile.. its approx 111.1 GB file. When I try to load this file i get an error about the dictionary being empty..lol.. its NOT empty... If i try to use a 10gig (ten digits of my area code= phone numbers.. all possibilities) file it works fine...

Can anyone confirm the biggest size you can use...

Developer

I do not think there is a limit. Have you tried it with cowpatty? Any way do you realize how long it will take aircrack to to get through that dictionary?

don't think cowpatty works for windows.... I use my laptop to capture the cap file via a USB drive then transfer this to use with teh windows version....

My main PC is an intel x3350 quad core overcloced to 3.0 (for the long haul.. can easily be done to 3.2-3.4 or higher) and does it ALOT faster than my laptop which is only 2.0 ghz standard intel chip..pentium M.

I can do only 120 Keys per second on my laptop where as with my PC i can do almost 1000 or more....

Quote Originally Posted by BlayzeX View Post
    OK I have created 0-9 ten length all possible combinations textfile.. its approx 111.1 GB file. When I try to load this file i get an error about the dictionary being empty..lol.. its NOT empty... If i try to use a 10gig (ten digits of my area code= phone numbers.. all possibilities) file it works fine...

Can anyone confirm the biggest size you can use...
    I have never personally experienced any issues with aircrack-ng and large wordlists. However, I have read a few posts on the forum describing the same issue and mentioned splitting the files into smaller parts as the only solution. Sadly I can't recall the exact upper limit mentioned in these posts, but have to agree with pureh@te on that there officially does not exist any limit to the size of the wordlist.

don't think cowpatty works for windows.... I use my laptop to capture the cap file via a USB drive then transfer this to use with teh windows version....
    The good news is that it does work flawlessly in Back|Track, which is the linux distro this support forum is intended for.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

If we estimate 75,000,000 words per gigabyte (I get that from a 64,000,000 word list being roughly 800mb) then by my calculations it will take around 96 days at 1000 keys per second. Keep in mind this is a rough estimate however if you have that kind of time you are either very bored, getting paid a sh*t load of cash for a pentest or trying to steal your neighbors wifi and don't care how long it takes.

lol..naw...wouldn't attemp that one..lol.. i would attempt a day or two.. i work 12 hours at night.. sleep during the day.. so during the days I work iw oudln't matter leaving it going.. but when I was off...it would have to be stopped...lol.

lol..naw...wouldn't attemp that one..lol.. i would attempt a day or two.. i work 12 hours at night.. sleep during the day.. so during the days I work iw oudln't matter leaving it going.. but when I was off...it would have to be stopped...lol.
    Not much point in running a wordlist of that size for just a day or two, as it would probably not even get you trough the first letter of the alphabet. Instead try using a dictionary consisting of words more specifically hand-picked for the intended target.

yesterday i tried that 800mb txt file.
    To crack "googlegoogle" WPA at 250 keys/second my CPU took 23hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0zen Sm0ke View Post
    yesterday i tried that 800mb txt file.
    To crack "googlegoogle" WPA at 250 keys/second my CPU took 23hrs.
    At 250 PSK/s you should be able to work your way trough 20.700.000 words in 23 hours. However, as you state that the passkey was googlegoogle I will assume that you did not have to process the entire wordlist, but only a small part of it.

In case the password had not been in the dictionary it would have taken you roughly 4267 minutes to know it, or about 71 hours, assuming 800Mb~64.000.000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    At 250 PSK/s you should be able to work your way trough 20.700.000 words in 23 hours. However, as you state that the passkey was googlegoogle I will assume that you did not have to process the entire wordlist, but only a small part of it.
    My colleague changed WEP to WPA and i wasn't told the key...so had to run through the whole dictionary file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast