Thread: Macbook Install

Just burned his ISO

Default Macbook Install

Hi guys,
    Been using KisMAC for a while on my Macbook and decided its time to try something more powerful.

Now I have never used linux before so I am a real newbie to all of this, learning fast though.

OK, heres where I am at.

I have created a 10GB partition using Bootcamp Assistant and quit when it asks for install, then I have downloaded and burnt the bt3final.iso and it runs using refit, I boot into VESA mode.

Then I followed Action discretes post on
    forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?p=87982
    it seemed to go without a hitch.

However, when I go into refit I get the Legacy OS (which when I try to boot gives me Operating System error) and the Live CD.

I can't see where I am going wrong,

Should I try an external HDD install?
    Does it matter that I am using a Macbook and not a Macbook Pro?
    Was I supposed to be in VESA?
    Does the vga thing make a difference in lilo as there were alot of options to do with VESA that the tutorial didn't mention?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Just burned his ISO

Default Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Super n00b to the rescue!!

I am also a total newbie who happens to be on a MacBook...

I made a 5 GB Boot Camp partition (the smallest possible), since the Back Track
    install only takes up approx. 2.7 GB. First, I used jereonimo's instructions up
    to installing BT 3 Beta via the GUI installer ...

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?p=63001#post63001

-then I used pureh@te's tutorial found here (using the obvious exceptions for my case):

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751

I configured my lilo exactly like his, and it works perfectly...

Having said that, I also have VMWare Beta 2 (Mac) installed, and am using the
    VMWare BT3 Final image with that. Although it requires an external USB card,
    I can leave it running 24/7 in the background, so it is up and running instantly
    whenever I want to use it, and I can also use my built-in Atheros card to do other
    stuff (in OS X) at the same time. A huge advantage is that the MacBook's 2-finger right-click
    is supported in VMWare. Conversely, a 2-button wired mouse is otherwise required
    if you want to copy/paste stuff (although I'm looking into installing trackpad drivers
    for my HDD install).

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Super n00b View Post
    I am also a total newbie who happens to be on a MacBook...

I made a 5 GB Boot Camp partition (the smallest possible), since the Back Track
    install only takes up approx. 2.7 GB. First, I used jereonimo's instructions up
    to installing BT 3 Beta via the GUI installer ...

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?p=63001#post63001

-then I used pureh@te's tutorial found here (using the obvious exceptions for my case):

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751

I configured my lilo exactly like his, and it works perfectly...

Having said that, I also have VMWare Beta 2 (Mac) installed, and am using the
    VMWare BT3 Final image with that. Although it requires an external USB card,
    I can leave it running 24/7 in the background, so it is up and running instantly
    whenever I want to use it, and I can also use my built-in Atheros card to do other
    stuff (in OS X) at the same time. A huge advantage is that the MacBook's 2-finger right-click
    is supported in VMWare. Conversely, a 2-button wired mouse is otherwise required
    if you want to copy/paste stuff (although I'm looking into installing trackpad drivers
    for my HDD install).
    Superb, I have a USB card anyway so I will give VMWare a shot, do you just install using the bt3final.iso and then install the drivers for your usb card and it works?

Thanks for your help!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie View Post
    Superb, I have a USB card anyway so I will give VMWare a shot, do you just install using the bt3final.iso and then install the drivers for your usb card and it works?

I have two USB cards, the Edimax EW-7318USg (RT73 chipset) and the awesome
    500 mW Alfa AWUS036H (RT8187L chipset). Back Track 3 already has the drivers
    loaded, so no need to install anything. Is your card supported in Back Track?
    Sometimes you have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to show up using iwconfig...

Just burned his ISO

Hello,
    I have a Hawking HWUG1 (rt73), read backtrack supports rt73 as standard so I am now installed onVMware, one question, with the beta where did you get a usb controller for your cards.
    VMware won't let me connect my card to backtrack?

Just burned his ISO

I'm using VMWare 2.0b1...All I did was install Back Track, and everything just worked.
    I suppose you could go into Settings and then click USB Devices and make sure that
    your card is checked (mine was checked without having to do anything). Good luck!

Just burned his ISO

Right, had to switch the machine off and then edit the settings, duh!

Right I am online now, on with the tutorials lol.
    Thanks for your help mate.