Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install BT3 Final to Usb Stick= Easy

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Default How to install BT3 Final to Usb Stick= Easy

I take no credit with this. I just tried it and it works perfect.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...b-knoppix-510/

Instead of using the Knoppix disc, use the backtrack one. (bt3final and bt3usb version) Both worked.

This took 15 minutes on my windows box.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

I dont know if you noticed, but there is already this, which is much more detailed and complete:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14917

Quote Originally Posted by BTuser3 View Post
    I dont know if you noticed, but there is already this, which is much more detailed and complete:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14917
    I think you are missing the point as the whole beauty of this tutorial lies in its simplicity, just point and click. Also it is for a normal USB install and not meant to be run under windows.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

hmmm, maybe am missing something, but how is that simpler than downloading the bt3final iso, extracting it, moving 2 folders to a usb drive and double clicking on bootinst??

Just burned his ISO

Actually, there is an even simpler tutorial from pendrivelinux for quickly installing backtrack to USB:

pendrivelinux.com/2008/02/29/usb-backtrack-linux-installation

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by BTuser3 View Post
    hmmm, maybe am missing something, but how is that simpler than downloading the bt3final iso, extracting it, moving 2 folders to a usb drive and double clicking on bootinst??
    Nothing easier than this.

I tried every way i could think of to install BT3final to my usb stick. It works beautifully on my desktop, however, every time I try it on my notebook it says missing operating system. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
    I tried every way i could think of to install BT3final to my usb stick. It works beautifully on my desktop, however, every time I try it on my notebook it says missing operating system. Any ideas on how to fix that?
    On your desktop, are you using the same USB stick to boot from? Am asking to check if you know as a fact that the USB stick boots ok from some other machines. On your laptop, did you configure it in BIOS to boot from a USB device?

Note: On my laptop, I can take out the hard drive completely, and still boot from the USB stick. That way I save some life-time on the HD, some battery juice, the laptop runs cooler, and also if you are concerned about security, then thats an awesome thing to do. If someone "hacks" your BT, then he is only dealing with whats on your USB stick, thats it, thats all. And if you take you laptop somewhere and lose it, you still have all your data on your HD at home

Yeah, configured the bios, I've done eveything I can think to. I'm beginning to think I've got some issues with my laptop. Works fine on everyother computer I've tried it on. I've booted it on 5 other computers ( 3 desktops, 2 laptops ) with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
    Yeah, configured the bios, I've done eveything I can think to. I'm beginning to think I've got some issues with my laptop. Works fine on everyother computer I've tried it on. I've booted it on 5 other computers ( 3 desktops, 2 laptops ) with no issues.
    How old is your laptop? Note that very old laptops cannot boot from USB devices... or some their BIOS wont support that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast