Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install a newsreader in backtrack 3 ?

Just burned his ISO

Default install a newsreader in backtrack 3 ?

Can one install a newsreader program in BT3 final? I found Knode and Klibido using google and downloaded them but I got stuck when it came to installing them/getting them to work. If anyone can help a newbie with this I'd be grateful. yes I did a google search on this but I couldn't find anything at newbie level. I couldn't find any pre-installed newsreader in BT3 either, unless I missed something....

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonjg View Post
    Can one install a newsreader program in BT3 final? I found Knode and Klibido using google and downloaded them but I got stuck when it came to installing them/getting them to work. If anyone can help a newbie with this I'd be grateful. yes I did a google search on this but I couldn't find anything at newbie level. I couldn't find any pre-installed newsreader in BT3 either, unless I missed something....
    I tell you what this seems to be the link for Knode , now you find the installation documents and find out at what step you are having problems and then when you search the net and have exhausted all resources available, then post back with relevant info on what step/s you have taken and what did not work, in addition make sure that you post the exact commands and any errors. Then maybe some one might help you.
    To only say that you are a n00b and could not find anything to help you is not going to get you very far here.

good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    I tell you what this seems to be the link for Knode , now you find the installation documents and find out at what step you are having problems and then when you search the net and have exhausted all resources available, then post back with relevant info on what step/s you have taken and what did not work, in addition make sure that you post the exact commands and any errors. Then maybe some one might help you.
    To only say that you are a n00b and could not find anything to help you is not going to get you very far here.

good luck
    What? We're not spoonfeeding n00bs? When did that start?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What? We're not spoonfeeding n00bs? When did that start?
    Well I mean a news reader for a pentest live cd ? Sure I know to each their own but... the op obviously is not that serious because if he was he would have provided relevant information in order for some one to help him.

On the other hand I think that I did spoon feed him, I not only gave him a link to the program but I also summarized this entire article for him in the post. Hell even microsoft did that.

Ohh and to the op after you read about that news reader bit read the link above "entire article". If you are serious about pen-testing it will help you.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I think I'm beginning to understand this forum now....
    It seems to have two purposes. 1) to discuss Bactrack 3. 2) to jump and trounce on newbies at every opportunity regardless of whether they post in the newbie section or not.
    I admire the knowledge level of the more experienced linux users here but remember, if you can't get a girlfriend that's not the fault of the newbies.

It seems to have two purposes. 1) to discuss Bactrack 3. 2) to jump and trounce on newbies at every opportunity regardless of whether they post in the newbie section or not.
    I admire the knowledge level of the more experienced linux users here but remember, if you can't get a girlfriend that's not the fault of the newbies.
    the reason that is is because about 95% of newbies dont have the brains to look for the search button or google first than ask for help..

Well insulting some of the most respected members of this forum with something completely irrelevant is probably a good way to get more information.

However, I do not understand why you are feeling like you did not receive help as archangel.amael kindly promised to help you along the way if you get stuck at any point in the installation procedure and even specified what information we will need to be able to help you? What kind of help were you expecting to get, a step-by-step tutorial written specifically for you so that you do not need to use your own brain at all perhaps?

And yes this forum has one main purpose, to discuss backtrack and topics relevant to it and computer security. And if you look through the threads you will soon notice that newbies have received extensive help in every situation where they have been willing to try to help themselves as well and not expect others to do all the work for them.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

ok tron thanks for your response.
    being a newbie in linux is very difficult for some (meaning me). I come to this forum after searching google, not before. Some advanced users in this forum clearly relish the chance of humiliating a newbie whenever they can, which is life to a certain degree. It aint nice when 1) you're on the recieving end of this and 2) there's two of them doing it together. Newbies bruise easily, and no I did not expect 'a step-by-step tutorial written specifically for me so that I do not need to use my own brain at all perhaps'...
    To clarify my original post I haven't got a clue where to start in trying to get knode to work. I am able to download and extract but after that I'm stumped. The data I found through google all addressed a higher level, assuming the user knew how to install but had difficulty along the way. I can't even get on the way.

being a newbie in linux is very difficult for some (meaning me). I come to this forum after searching google, not before. Some advanced users in this forum clearly relish the chance of humiliating a newbie whenever they can, which is life to a certain degree. It aint nice when 1) you're on the recieving end of this and 2) there's two of them doing it together. Newbies bruise easily, and no I did not expect 'a step-by-step tutorial written specifically for me so that I do not need to use my own brain at all perhaps'...
    To clarify my original post I haven't got a clue where to start in trying to get knode to work. I am able to download and extract but after that I'm stumped. The data I found through google all addressed a higher level, assuming the user knew how to install but had difficulty along the way. I can't even get on the way.
    First of all I want to warn you that BackTrack is an advanced Linux distro and therefore not the most n00b friendly Linux version out there. This being said my first encounter with Linux was with BT2 so it definitely is not an impossible way to start out. However, expect some hair loss and many sleepless nights if you choose to use BT3 with next to no prior knowledge about Linux.

Now there is a common way to install most programs on Linux and you might want to try out this first. Start with extracting the file and cd into it, you can also open the directory in Konqueror and press F4 to open up a konsole. Then enter the following commands one by one:
    Code:
    configure
    make
    make install
    As I have no access to a Linux computer here at work I can not confirm that this approach will successfully install knode, but it is a good place to start.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Being a n00b is no excuse for not using your freaking brain. Inside every single package that I've ever downloaded for Linux is a README file, that file normally has information about installation, or points you to a file that has instructions on installation.

You follow those instructions, if it errors out while installing then google whatever error message is shown. Sometimes things require dependencies that need installed first. Again, those have README inside that give important information.

I'm just curious as to why one would need a news reader in an system that isn't meant to be used as a day to day OS, and was designed for a very specific advanced purpose. If you cannot even do the most basic thing of installing a new program, how are you ever going to learn the rest?

...and to build upon Tron's post:

You can always do ./configure --help that will display the options for configuring the program before you attempt to install it. In there sometimes it lists dependencies.

I can tell you right now, that chances are, unless you've actually downloaded a prepackaged program for BackTrack to install chances are you're going to be installing dependencies, as they've trimmed the BackTrack installation down, and many of the libraries aren't there to be compiling from source.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast