Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHP Editor

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Default PHP Editor

Lately I've been spending a great deal of time teaching myself PHP, but I've been doing most of my working using Nano or Vi for editing the files on the server. Does anyone know of a decent PHP editor that either works via CLI or in Gnome?

Yep, I have searched, but I'm looking for personal preferences.

thanks.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Hi there,

my favorite editor is jedit.
    It is platform independent, customizable and offers a magnitude of plugins.....also php plugins.
    Give it a try.

Cheers
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

I used to use Jedit... it's decent.

( Spoiled now with TextMate on OS X )
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

I just installed the Winders version installed the FTP plugin to connect to my CentOS box. So far it looks pretty cool. I'm sure it'll be alot easier than doing an SSH to my CentOS box and using Nano.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'm sure it'll be alot easier than doing an SSH to my CentOS box and using Nano.
    Man, I couldn't even image doing that

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    Man, I couldn't even image doing that
    You don't even want to know what I did yesterday, it was torture, but after 8 straight hours, I made a Plugin for Cacti that reads the database and exports all the templates to individual XML files so that they can be easily imported into another installation. All that and I've never really done anything in PHP before, other than minor edits.

Question about jEdit, what's the blue line down the middle of the screen and how do I get rid of it? It's about as distracting as something moving in my peripheral vision.

Question about jEdit, what's the blue line down the middle of the screen and how do I get rid of it? It's about as distracting as something moving in my peripheral vision.
    Ahhh... I think that is the wrap margin.. you have to turn it off or set it to '0' if I remember correctly...

EDIT: yep... "..goto menu: Utitilies > Global options >> jEdit > Editing and set wrap margin to 0"

That was it, thanks!

Wrapping was one of the issues I had with Nano, if you're copying from one file to another, and some of the text is off the screen it wouldn't copy it, but if you'd allow Nano to wrap it to the next line automatically then the code wouldn't work either. Of course I could have used Vi and dealt with the auto-repeat issue that occurs every once in a while when you delete after you insert.

My mom is doing php and has just recently setup a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server and is using quanta plus as the editor. She is doing really well with it and says she even prefers it to Dreamweaver.

That was it, thanks!

Wrapping was one of the issues I had with Nano, if you're copying from one file to another, and some of the text is off the screen it wouldn't copy it, but if you'd allow Nano to wrap it to the next line automatically then the code wouldn't work either. Of course I could have used Vi and dealt with the auto-repeat issue that occurs every once in a while when you delete after you insert.
    Is there no line-flow delimiter, ie ; > & etc? Usually there is a symbol that let's the app know you aren't done with that line yet, for wrapping purposes....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast