Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop locks up completely with BT3 final?!?

Just burned his ISO

Default Laptop locks up completely with BT3 final?!?

Ok Here is the scoop. I tried installing bt3 copying the proper directories and such but something in the new backtrack software is causing my laptop to completely lock up. Also when this happens I hear the cpu fan kickon in the bottom of the laptop. Almost as if it is overheating. I don't have this problem with windows, backtrack2 final, or even ubuntu. I also had this same issue with backtrack 3 beta. Something in the new software is having a problem. Anyone else see this before? The laptop is a Gateway 450ROG with 768MB of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by jbabtech View Post
    Ok Here is the scoop. I tried installing bt3 copying the proper directories and such but something in the new backtrack software is causing my laptop to completely lock up. Also when this happens I hear the cpu fan kickon in the bottom of the laptop. Almost as if it is overheating. I don't have this problem with windows, backtrack2 final, or even ubuntu. I also had this same issue with backtrack 3 beta. Something in the new software is having a problem. Anyone else see this before? The laptop is a Gateway 450ROG with 768MB of ram.
    Which way did you install it? Which tutorial/set of instructions did you follow?

Have you tried the LiveCD? How did that perform?

Have you tried the USB install? Ditto.

When is it locking up? Immediately would indicated an MBR or loader issue. Otherwise, it would appear to be a driver problem.

Also, are you sure that it's actually locking up, and it isn't doing something like the screen output is on an incorrect setting?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

It locks up while in the live cd. It never finishes copying the files using the purehate tutorial. I didn't try via USB. I never get a screen output with an error message. It just locks the entire laptop up to the point where I can't do anything but hold in the power button. One side note, the laptops numlock and capslock begin flashing sequentially when this happens.

It locks up while in the live cd. It never finishes copying the files using the purehate tutorial. I didn't try via USB. I never get a screen output with an error message. It just locks the entire laptop up to the point where I can't do anything but hold in the power button.
    Uh, the first two statements are confusing and possibly contradictory.

Did you try
    A. Booting from a HD install and it failed, or
    B. Booting from a LiveCD and it failed, or
    C. both.

If it's both, I'd suspect the ISO is bad, and download another. If you can boot from the LiveCD, but it hangs while copying the files to to HD as part of the installation process, and then won't boot the HD, I'd double check the commands and make sure you're following them exactly.

Some of these instructions are easy enough to goof up. Just yesterday I was doing an install to a USB drive, and missed on one step. It completely screwed the install.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

I boot off of the live cd. I setup the partitions properly and mount. When I begin copying files using the purehate tutorial I will hear the fan kick on then the laptop locks up. This is the second ISO I burned and tried. I even tried doing these steps inside of flux.

I boot off of the live cd. I setup the partitions properly and mount. When I begin copying files using the purehate tutorial I will hear the fan kick on then the laptop locks up. This is the second ISO I burned and tried. I even tried doing these steps inside of flux.
    OK, so we know BT3 works with the laptop if you can boot off the CD. It sounds like there may be a problem with the HDD's format or drivers. I'd look at those two areas. First double check the driver for the HDD, and then make sure it's actually being written to when being formatted.

I'd also consider rebooting between the format process and the copying, just to make sure that the HDD's partitions are being properly formated and synced. Then mount them after the reboot and try the copying process again.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

Ok while copying some files before the lockup "AGAIN", I got some syslogd kernel errors like:
    (none) kernel: [<c01307b0>] autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    " " acpi_ec_transaction+0x191/0x1d5
    " " acpi_ex_system_io_space_handler
    " " acpi_ec_read

Ok while copying some files before the lockup "AGAIN", I got some syslogd kernel errors like:
    (none) kernel: [<c01307b0>] autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    " " acpi_ec_transaction+0x191/0x1d5
    " " acpi_ex_system_io_space_handler
    " " acpi_ec_read
    That's the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) drivers. Try toggling the "Power Save" options in the BIOS.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

Yea, I would but there is not setting for it in BIOS. I even have the newest bios flash. WTF! I tried all of the above with no luck. Thanks for the suggestions. This really sucks!

Yea, I would but there is not setting for it in BIOS. I even have the newest bios flash. WTF! I tried all of the above with no luck. Thanks for the suggestions. This really sucks!
    Sorry it don't work out. The only other suggestion would be to create a custom kernel or custom Slax CD of BT3, that leaves out those drivers and use that. It might take a bit of experimentation, but it could be done.

You can, of course, just use the BT3 LiveCD and make a partition on your hard from storing data.
    Thorn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast