Thread: Stey By Step Tutorial?

Just burned his ISO

Default Stey By Step Tutorial?

Hi

I was reading about this tool and found this to be very interesting.

I attempted to boot the CD onto my lapptop, however it appears to be hanging.
    I am not sure on what the issue is or how to resolve this.

I am not sure if I did it correctly.

Do we have a step by step documentation on what one should do?

Regards
    Knowledge.Worker

A tutorial for booting off a live CD would be rather short. Download, burn CD and reboot the computer with the CD in the drive is all that is needed in most cases.

In case you are having problems to get it to boot correctly there are a few steps you should check.
    1. Check if your hardware is fully supported if some additional drivers/steps to get everything working
    (This is a good place to start http://backtrack.offensive-security...._Compatibility)
    2. Confirm the checksum of the downloaded file(s)
    3. Re-burn the CD at a lower speed (1-2x)

If you still are having problems after this post your hardware information along with the error messages here and someone will surely be able to help you out.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

If your computer "froze", it is more likely a problem with your CD - specifically, with the checksum. If the checksum on your disk does not match the written checksum, the program will stop. Some image burners do not properly calculate the CS, or add extra stuff to the .ISO that changes the CS, so this is most probably your problem.

Try reburning your image file with IMGBURN. I have found that it burns things correctly (and the CS are equal).

Also, next time you post with problems, tell the forum exactly what hardware you are trying to run it from. Just saying "my laptop" or "my network card" hardly gives the reader any actual clues as to your hardware. Some of us here are very good mindreaders, but a lot of others here are not.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for your replies

My laptop is:
    HP TX2009AU tablet PC.

I "think" I have a Broadcom wireless card
    The MS-Vista device manager displays it as Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN. The same is shown on the HP's Product Specification page

On the Software and Driver downloads page:

Supported Devices and Features section displays the following information:

Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g WLAN Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter

I would assume my Wifi is Broadcom 4321 (since a/b/g are supported)

I checked the HCL.Neither the laptop or the Wifi card are listed.

Should I still attempt to try to troubleshoot the issue or should I wait till the TX2009AU and the Broadcom 4321 are supported?

Just burned his ISO

OK!! I had the installer of VMWare. So I just went ahead and installed VMware!!
    Selected "other" as OS type and started the virtual machine.

The boot procedure happened.
    A nice "desktop" (Please do let me know if this is known by other one..) was displayed.. A very nice and radiant wallpaper of a dragon appered.

The interface appeared like Windows.. however look alot cooler!!

Am I going on the right track till now?

Default success

dude ur already THERE j/k

Just burned his ISO

) Thanks!!

So the same CD boots when launched using VMWare
    However does not boot when attempting to boot the laptop.

Is there something I should be concerned with? Will I get the same functionality when working on BackTrack using VMWare as compared to booting into BackTrack?

I am very excited to explore the functionality of backtrack.. however would like to know if I would get the same functionality! (if I use it on VMWare)

Just burned his ISO

OK!! Found an issue while running LiveCD on VMWare on Vista

The Mouse Pad's scroll bar does not work on any application.
    I tried to install Vmware tools. however I was informed that there are no tools for Other OS

Internet seems to be working fine though.. I used the Ethernet Bridge option.. Able to browse to the internet!!

Just burned his ISO

I felt like fooling around and noticed that there is a Memtest utility.
    Launched it!!

It displays my chipset as Intel i440BX

I think I have AMD processor
    I have a HP TX2009AU.

Is this a problem?