Thread: Big wordlists.

peithan

Default Big wordlists.

I need all big wordlists there is. I have gone through loads of wordlists atm, probably around 7gig and yet I have not found the right password for this WPA2 handshake. I've searched the forum and downloaded most of the big ones, but i need more. Tips?

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7199

perhaps a quick read will speed you in the right direction....
    ~k
    "...you've picked up a bit of an attitude. Still curious and willing to learn, I hope. "

I have not found the right password for this WPA2 handshake
    So you have run 7GB worth of wordlists against the WPA handshake, now how long did that take? But perhaps the most suitable advice for you would be to just stick to your own AP from now on.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

peithan

I have already gone through that thread :S

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    So you have run 7GB worth of wordlists against the WPA handshake, now how long did that take? But perhaps the most suitable advice for you would be to just stick to your own AP from now on.
    Not that long since i'm using 4 computers to go through them. And whether i should stick to my own AP or not, or if it's my AP or a friends one is not what the thread was about.

Quote Originally Posted by peithan View Post
    I have already gone through that thread :S
    how about this one:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11875

?
    ~k
    "...you've picked up a bit of an attitude. Still curious and willing to learn, I hope. "

peithan

Quote Originally Posted by kr0m3 View Post
    I've downloaded Xploitz collection and working to get through it :P

And whether i should stick to my own AP or not, or if it's my AP or a friends one is not what the thread was about.
    Well I suppose I might have jumped to conclusions, however my point was that I have a hard time figuring out why to put so much time and resources on trying to crack an WPA handshake in case you have the permission to do it, and thereby basically to access it.

You could simply ask him what his password is and run a grep command on the wordlists, saving you a butload of time. The result will be the same, if the word is found it would have been cracked as well. At the same time you will not really lose any insight or experience using this approach as it still is the computer(s) not you doing all the work.

Actually you might learn a bit more about the strength/weaknesses of a wordlist attack this way as you can easily run the attack ignoring the case of the letters (grep -i) and see how close to cracking the password you might have been, while still being so so far away.

peithan

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Well I suppose I might have jumped to conclusions, however my point was that I have a hard time figuring out why to put so much time and resources on trying to crack an WPA handshake in case you have the permission to do it, and thereby basically to access it.

You could simply ask him what his password is and run a grep command on the wordlists, saving you a butload of time. The result will be the same, if the word is found it would have been cracked as well. At the same time you will not really lose any insight or experience using this approach as it still is the computer(s) not you doing all the work.

Actually you might learn a bit more about the strength/weaknesses of a wordlist attack this way as you can easily run the attack ignoring the case of the letters (grep -i) and see how close to cracking the password you might have been, while still being so so far away.
    You are so right there. But if i'd ask him right away if wouldnt succeed in cracking the WPA, i he told me the password. I will try by my own first then i'll ask for the password. And on the other hand, a good set of wordlists isn't that bad either. It'll come handy one day, right?

...a good set of wordlists isn't that bad either. It'll come handy one day, right?
    So right you are, nothing wrong with stacking up with a few gigs of wordlists for a rainy day. I envy your determination and you are right that it would not feel nearly as rewarding to just find the WPA key in one of the wordlists as it would be to actually crack it. Good luck with your quest