Thread: MacBook Pro/XP and BT3 HELP!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default MacBook Pro/XP and BT3 HELP!!!!

Ok, hello to all. I'm a pretty experienced users and I've been trying to find an answer for about 2 weeks. I have a MacBook Pro (2.33ghz) 15.4 inch, 4GB ram, 320GB HD running OSX Leopard 10.5. I have also configured bootcamp. So currently, when I hold the "option/Alt" key at startup, I have the option of going to OSX, or Windows Xp. I've already tried to boot BT3 off of the CD and it works great but slow. I've tried the USB method but obviously the mac bios does not read or support USB very well. I also tried BT3 off of firewire 2gb flash drive but it still not not boot. I know the USB/Firewire drives are copied correctly/formatted corrected and ran the bootinst.sh script and it ran fine. I know the devices are bootable because I tested them on a PC. I also tried rEFIt and it read the USB flash drive but got a bunch on errors and it froze. Does anyone have any steps to put BT3 on a HD on a MacBook pro without messing up the partitions between bootcamp/osx/xp? Ok, that's my goal but from what I've seen I will have to break the partition of widows and then work, which is fine too. Please!, can anyone have a good step to step tutorial on getting BT3 on a MacBook pro hard drive including, using disk utility, how many partitions, how to do that, what extensions, and the actual load. I know its a lot but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one having this problem. Thanks so much!

-Anthony

Just burned his ISO

You can use the diskutil command to partition your Mac partition into two (giving you three total) and then install BackTrack 3 on the 2nd partition. Back up your windows as I screwed mine up this way but I did triple boot.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by wifiphoto View Post
    You can use the diskutil command to partition your Mac partition into two (giving you three total) and then install BackTrack 3 on the 2nd partition. Back up your windows as I screwed mine up this way but I did triple boot.
    wifiphoto, I used diskutil on my 17" Penryn MBP, worked nice and without damaging the other partitions. I have not been able to boot into the BT partition though. I use rEFIt, but never got it to work. You use rEFIt?

Btw, I have BT3 on a USB-stick also, which boots fine on a couple of PC laptops of mine, but it won't boot with my MBP.