Thread: !!! Best usb directional wifi device !!!

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up !!! Best usb directional wifi device !!!

Hello fellow backtrackers, i have been using backtrack for a while with my laptops stock atheros chipset wireless card and i think its time to add a little upgrade to my pen-testing. I want to add a usb directional card. The question is... which is the best??? I recalled researching this a while back and came up with
    Hawking HWU8DD Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter
    however that was a while back. So what i want to ask you guys is.

What USB DIRECTIONAL cards have YOU USED and GAVE the BEST RESULTS?

also, any set backs if noticed on certain models?

Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

Default Re: !!! Best usb directional wifi device !!!

(as mentioned maaany times before)

get the alfa.

Alfa AWUS036H-V5 1000mW is the one you should get. It rocks not only because of its output power , but also for its sensitivity, and its injection rate

I also got one of those Direct 24 , a 24,1 dBi solid dish antenna, that was much better than some 24dbi grid antennas i ve tested.

Just burned his ISO

I just wonder,if let's say i buy this wireless adapter(Alfa AWUS036H-V5 1000mW (upgrade of 500mW AWUS036H) Long-distance USB Wireless Adapter + Antenna),why do i still have to buy additional antenna like erhardm mention??(Antenna 10dBi Directional Panel Outdoor w/ RP-SMA connector
    Antenna: 18dBi Yagi Directional 10-inch cable w/ N-female connector. WiFi / wireless (for this you need an additional pigtail)??

Anyway,I'm a complete novice,so i just wanna consult any expert,why does the antenna is needed??But why my current ordinary usb adapter doesnt have any antenna but I still get to connect to the internet,of course i'm not using backtrack on it??my current usb adapter is shiro wa54-u.Any idea??

Quote Originally Posted by nemo@arc View Post
    I want to add a usb directional card.
    The adapter comes with an omni antenna. If you don't need directional then go only with the ALFA

Being a novice you will need to check this thread and try harder(tm) at Google's search engine:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    Last edited by erhardm; 03-09-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by caramel1991 View Post
    I just wonder,if let's say i buy this wireless adapter(Alfa AWUS036H-V5 1000mW (upgrade of 500mW AWUS036H) Long-distance USB Wireless Adapter + Antenna),why do i still have to buy additional antenna like erhardm mention??(Antenna 10dBi Directional Panel Outdoor w/ RP-SMA connector
    Antenna: 18dBi Yagi Directional 10-inch cable w/ N-female connector. WiFi / wireless (for this you need an additional pigtail)??

Anyway,I'm a complete novice,so i just wanna consult any expert,why does the antenna is needed??But why my current ordinary usb adapter doesnt have any antenna but I still get to connect to the internet,of course i'm not using backtrack on it??my current usb adapter is shiro wa54-u.Any idea??
    the idea is, a standard wireless card thats not directional radiates a signal in a circular radius all around the wireless card, using an x amount of power. but if we focus our signal NOT all around us, but to a particular direction. we can still use the same x amount of power, but now we get an increased distance of communication because all the signal power is being focused to a particular point.

check out this picture to get a better visual

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for guiding me,anyway,I just wanna know is there any guide or thread that teaches everyting about a wireless usb adapter and all those stuff regarding wireless(omni-directional,wave i keep heard and others).I wanted to learn about it so that i can choose a decent wireless adapter for myself,now i'm lacking of knowledge on it,for example I've no idea about the 1000mW in the name of this wireless adapter "Alfa AWUS036H-V5 1000mW (upgrade of 500mW AWUS036H) "